Westcliffe with Index of names and places at end
Back to Churchyards listed
Some Monumental Inscriptions of Westcliffe Church, Noted by Rev Bryan Faussett noted 1759
Kindly typed up for the website by Pat Tritton
In The Chancell.(this is in St. Margt’s psh.) She departed this Life 21 Aug. 1749 aged 37 Years. She left surviving 1 Son and 1 Daughter, viz: Kingsford & Elisabeth.
1. On a Flat Stone. Here lieth the Body of Thomasin AUSTEN, Widow of Nicholas Austen, of Addisham, who departed this Life the 15th of Nov. 1702 aged 70 Years. Here also lieth the Body of Mary the Wife of Thomas UNDERDOWNE, and Daughter of the abovesaid Nicholas and Thomasine Austin (sic), who departed this Life the 8th of February 1732/3. Aged 76 Years.
2. On Another. Here lieth interred the Body of Thomas UNDERDOWNE late of the Town and Port of Dover of which he was twice Mayor. He departed this Life Sept. 3 An.Dom. 1741 aged 72 Years.
3. One Ancient Flat Stone without Inscription.
In The Body.
4. On a Flat Stone. Here lieth interred the Body of John KINGSFORD the son of Thomas Kingsford, Yeoman, of this Parish, and of Elisabeth his Wife, who departed this Life the 21st Day of August 1715 aged 6 Years.
5. Here also lieth interred The Body of Thomas KINGSFORD Junr. who departed this Life Dec. 10 1741 aged 24 Years.
6. On Another. Here lieth interred the Body of Thomas KINGSFORD, Senr. late of this Parish. He died Aug. 20 1747 aged 70 Years. He left surviving Elisabeth, his Wife, and Elisabeth his Daughter.
7. On Another. Here lieth interred the Body of Eliz. WOOD, Wife of Isaac Wood, late of Wanston
8. Two Ancient Flat Stones without Inscription. 1 of them has been inlaid.
9. In The South Wall is an Arch, and under it a kind of Altar Tomb, without Inscription.
10. This Church, which is very small, consists only of the Chancell & Body; in a low wooden Spire (if it deserved that Name) over the South Door, hangs 1 small Bell without Inscription.
11. This Church was dedicated, as I think, to St. Peter (see P.186).
12. In The Church Yard is an Altar Tomb for Thos. KINGSFORD 1716. And an Headstone for Thomas STOCK 1666.Index of Names and Places
|Names Index |
KINGSFORD 4, 5, 6
UNDERDOWNE 1, 2
St Margaret’s at Cliffe