Commencing at North East, going south line by line and proceeding westward.
1. (Headstone in iron rails) William CATT for 38 years Clerk of the Parish of Ebony and for 27 years Sub-postmaster of Reading Street Office, died 21 May 1901 aged 76 leaving a widow 3 sons and 3 daughters Jane, Lydia, William, George, John, Phillis, Philadelphia Catt his wife born 26 May 1823 died 20 March 1913.
2. Nathaniel STRETTON of this parish died 13 September 1850 aged 90. Mary his wife died 8 February 1840 aged 78. Silas their only son, Paymaster and Purser in the Royal Navy who died at Sea on 10 April 18 (?45) aged 57.
3. Broken and no inscription remains.
4. (Head in iron rails) Stephen WELLER died 1 April 1902 aged 73.
5. (Head in rails) Harry, 3rd son of Stephen and Alice WELLER of Tenterden died 24 June 1887 aged 24. Alice Weller died 19 February 1890 aged 23.
6. John LUCKHURST born 1 August 1693 died 4 June 1773 in the 81st year of his age.
7. Mr Thomas HOPE second son of the late Mr Francis Hope of Smallhithe, Tenterden, died 20 October 1806 aged 35. (Note, the Hope's had the farm subsequently purchased by Miss Ellen Terry).
8. The Reverend William DIXON, Vicar of Ebony and Appledore, who died September 8th 1844 aged 71 years. Also Mary his wife who died April 3rd 1843 aged 51 years. Also William Henry his son who died December 27th 18 (?11 or 14) aged 11 years.
9. (Head, in rails) George Thomas PAINE died 28 November 1877 aged 66. Left surviving Ann his wife and 5 children viz: Mary, Henry, Herbert, Emily, and George Thomas. Also Ann his wife died 6 April 1879 aged 65.
10. Anne wife of John MITCHELL of Tenterden died 8 September 1876 aged 32.
11. Thomas PAIN died 19 November 1855 in 69th year. Mary his wife died October 2nd 1844 leaving surviving George, Mary and William. Also Ann TURK died September 27th 1861 aged 69. Leaving issue by Ann his second wife, Ann, Henry, John and Elizabeth. Ann died 9 June 1852 aged 26; Mary died 16 January 1856 aged 11, Henry died 10 November 1856 aged 12.
12. Ann TURK wife of Ambrose CHACKS-FIELD of this parish died 9 June 1852 aged 26.
13. Here lieth the Body of Stephen RAMSDEN of Ebony, Yeoman, married Jane daughter of Richard GILES of Pluckly, Clothier, by whom he had 5 children. He died October the 10th 1712, aged 54 years. Jane his daughter was buried September 12th 1712 aged 16 years. Catharine October 12th 1710 aged 12 years. Thos: his son was buried March 29th 1714 aged 2 years. Tho: March 1714 aged 4
months. 3 sons survived him viz John Stephen and Giles and one daughter, Elizabeth. [A good stone with rough portrait at the top].
14. A large stone face down.
Footstone J.P. (doubtless a Poile)
15. Here lyes the Body of Tho: FOWLE of this Parish who departed this life April the ...1716 aged 49. Here lieth the Body of Jane wife of Thomas Fowle She died May the 4th, 1739 Aged .... (perished ...(?)7).
16. Here lieth the Body of Mary the wife of Thomas FOWLE who died February, the 8th, 1699 in the 30th yeare of her Age.
17. Sarah wife of Walter CLOAKE of this parish who departed this Life August the 11th, 1769 in the 39 year of her age. Here lieth also four children. Left issue one son Isaac.
18. Walter CLOAKE late of this Parish died February 3rd, 1791 in 77th year ......... one son Isaac ......
19. Isaac CLOAKE of Tenterden died 27 June 1820 aged 72.
20. (Next westwards to No 14) Henry POILE of this parish Yeoman died 9 August 1818 in the 80th year of his age leaving Sarah his second wife surviving; Jane, James, Elizabeth, Judith and Charles by his former wife survive.
20b. In memory of Jane, wife of Henry POILE of this parish who died 12 May 1789 aged 53 years. Left issue Henry, Jane, James, John-Seers, Elizabeth, Judith and Charles." An epitaph reads: My kindred and best friends adieu / Death calls I leave the world and you / Let youth their footsteps guide with care / Since death nor youth nor age will spare / Ye then sincere and good and just / In your dear redeemer trust.
(An additional gravestone unrecorded by L. Duncan, submitted by Nigel Gale 25th January 2008)
21. Sarah wife of James POILE of this parish died 2nd January 1806 in 29th year. Left surviving one daughter Ann.
22. Broken Stone - no inscription remains.
23. Paul LYLE died -- July 175 (1 or 4) aged 44 Susan his wife died April 1744. Sarah his second wife died 11 January 1780 aged 64.
24. Charles POILE of this parish died 5 September 1823 aged 46. Left surviving by Susan his wife two sons Charles and John. Susan his wife died 13 October 1846 aged 72. Charles Poile his son died 9 February 1837 aged 28. Left issue by Mary his wife, Emily, Mary, Henry, Elen (sic) Jason, Charles and Susan.
25. Benjamin BUTLER son of Henry and Alice Butler and nephew of Mr Thomas CLOAKE of Tenterden died 17 January 1807 aged 29.
26. Thomas CLOAKE of the Parish of Tenterden died 6 June 1805 aged 73. Jane his wife died 10 July 1824 aged 87.
27 Here's interred the Body of Isaac CLOAKE Gentleman, who departed this life January the 9th, 1715 aged 70 years. Also Sarah his wife who dyed April the 1st 1715 aged 63. Left issue 2 sons, Isaac and Walter.
28. Richard LEPPER of the Parish of Lydd died October 1810 (or 9) aged 50 years.
29. Thankful CLOAKE Late of Tenterden died November 2nd 1834 aged 86. Ann his wife died 30 June 1825, aged 81. Issue one son and 6 daughters. Four daughters survive who gratefully erect this stone.
30. Thomas PANNE of Tenterden died 1 (or 4) July 1793 aged 70. He married Mary daughter of William PIKE of Rolvenden and widow of James BALCOMBE of Tenterden. She had by her former husband two children John and Elizabeth and by her late husband 9 children 4 of which are buried at Tenterden the surviving five are Thomas, George, Charles, William and Charlotte.
(BATCOMB corrected to BALCOMBE, information from Parish Registers via Mike Cozens 6-9-2002)
31. Katherine wife of John PAINE died 16 August 1725 aged 62. The aforesaid John Paine died 24 October 1729 aged 67. Left issue Thomas, John, William and Edward.
32. Ann VIRRELL died 31 August 1763 in her 81st year.
33. John RAMSDEN Gentleman late of this Parish. Died 2 December 1762 aged 67 years and 4 months. He married Elizabeth daughter of William MURRAY of Tenterden by whom he had issue 4 children, John, Stephen, Elizabeth and William. Elizabeth died 18 November 1740 aged 6 years and 5 weeks and he is interred in the parish of St Alphage in Canterbury.
34. Robert WALKER, yeoman, late of Wittersham died 4 May 1834 aged 65. Sarah his wife died 27 August 1854 aged 79.
35. Thomas WALKER of Park Farm died 27 March 1867 aged 70. Elizabeth his wife died 9 May 1833 aged 40. Also to two sons and 3 daughters. Thomas died in America 1854. Eliza died June 1841 aged 18. Charles died May 1858 aged 26. Eleannah died August 1859 aged 33. Elizabeth died December 1864 aged 34.
36. Thomas WALKER of this parish died 5 April 1790 aged 61 (or 4). Hannah his wife died 9 July 1787 aged 51.
37. A broken stone. No inscription remains.
38. Sarah WALKER died 20 August 1877 aged 74.
39. Mary wife of Thomas WALKER died 11 June 1792 aged 24. Ann his second wife died 27 December 1834 aged 62. The said Thomas page117 WALKER of Smallhythe in Tenterden died 4 June 1835 aged 71. Thomas their youngest son died in Cawnpore, Bengal, East Indies 17 October 1830 aged 23. Left surviving one son and six daughters:- Mary, Ann, Robert, Harriot, Hannah, Frances and Sarah.
40. Robert WALKER died 19 June 1842 aged 44. Sarah his wife died 22 March 1881 aged 76. William their son died 6 July 1881 aged 41.
[see No 123 Tenterden Inscriptions]
41. William WALKER died 21 June 1827 aged 57. Elizabeth his wife died 1 October 1864 aged 88. Leaving Thomas, Mary, Sarah and George.
42. Sarah wife of Thomas RELFE of this parish died 16 June 1833 aged 25. Sarah their daughter died 9 August 1833 aged 1 year. Left surviving George and Henry. [Other half of stone blank]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Three additional M.I.s found in another of L. Duncan's other notebooks added 31st January 2004
Typed up by Dawn Weeks
43. Henrietta FRY died at 10 Albion Place Ramsgate 7 May 1871 aged 59.
44. William DOUGLAS, grandson of Alexander and Sophia FRY, born in the East Indies died 6 May 1855 aged 22. Also Sophia Fry died 11 July 1850 aged 57. Alexander Fry died 24 May 1866 aged 75.
In new part to west
45. Our dear mother Jane FRY died 13 April 1912 aged 82. Also Alexander Fry, husband of above, died 20 February 1888 aged 65.
Index of Names and Places