Dover, St Martins with Index of names and places at end
Back to Churchyards listed
Some Monumental Inscriptions of Dover, St Martins Church, Noted by Bax & Rice 31st May 1892
Pages 87 to 88 of Epitaphs from Kent Churches typed up by Margaret Broomfield
ST. MARTIN’S CEMETERY, DOVER
1a. 31 May 1892 Mr. Petchley sexton of St. Mary’s Church kept the keys. No B
1b. High tomb (on top) In memory of Anne wife of John ARBUTHNOT Esq. who died at Calais November the 15th 1782 in the 44th year of her age.
2. HS (against the wall) Sacred to the memory of Joseph TYSON who died the 27th of February 1797 aged 5/32 years.
3. HS Sacred to the memory of Ann wife of Joseph TYSON who died the 15th of December 1797 aged 52 years. Left issue 4 sons viz. Joseph Taylor, Thomas, John and Matthew MacCormack.
4. HS near the middle of the ground 1764 Here lie the remains of the celebrated C. CHURCHILL. Life to the last enjoy’d here Churchill lies …………… candidate.
5. HS (all R. caps) Sacred to the memory of Mary Charlotte youngest daughter of William SANKEY, of this town, surgeon, and Elizabeth, his wife who died 20th May 1838 aged 11 years. Also of Arthur Henry their youngest son who died 8th January 1854 aged 21 years and 9 months. "Thy Kingdom come, they will be done". And of Elizabeth, Mary and Lucy who died in their infancy.
6. (Drawing D O T 1699) (all the following in Roman capitals) Copy of the inscription on the gravestone of Captain Samuel TAVENOR who was formerly Governor of Deal Castle and elder of ye Congregation of baptized believers at Dover 14 years and 9 months. He departed this life ye 4th August 1696 aged 75 years and 7 months. He had issue by Anna his first wife 13 children of which lyeth here interred his eldest son Samuel Tavenor, Chy………. who departed this life ye 10th of January 1682 aged 30 years and 8 months. Here also lyeth interred the body of Mrs. Susanna Tavenor wife of Captain Samuel Tavenor who departed this life May 25th 1701 aged 84 years.
7. Under the tomb near this wall lieth the bodies of Captain Samuel Tavenor | his wife Susanna and his son Samuel and in a vault on ye North side of | said tomb lieth the bodies of Mr. James Redding and his wife Priscilla who was one of the daughters of the above mentioned Captain Samuel Tavenor | Also the bodies of Mr. Sampson Peirce and his wife Susanna who was | one of the daughters of the said Mr. James Redding with several of their respective sons and daughters who at several periods departed this life | from this year 1683 and 1786. Also Mr. James Peirce, Gent. died the 11th of April 1791 aged 77 years.
Index of Names and Places
TAVENOR 6, 7
TYSON 2, 3
| General |
Captain 6, 7
Governor of Deal Castle 6