A transcription of Mr Leland L. Duncan's field notebook, dated 10 June 77 , commencing "Dartford Churchyard...."
Frank Bamping, 11 January 2001
Recent research shows that the following M.I.s were recordered by Leland Duncan at the "Upper burial Ground", now known as St Edmund's Pleasance, off East Hill. April 2012.
1. An altar tomb. Carved within a circle, arms, a chevron between three leopard's heads. Crest, a leopard passant tail extended chain reflexed the back ducalled crowned standimg on stump of tree fessways. To the memory of John Pettet, esquire, of this parish who departed this life 30th day of August 1771 aged 66 years. Also Mrs Sarah Pettet, sister of the above said John Pettet, esquire, who departed this life the 30th day of October 1772 aged 69 years. Likewise to the memory of Benjamin their brother died July 19 1793 aged 79; Ann their sister died February 9th 1795 aged 88 and Mary their sister died July 23rd 1801 aged 85.
2. An altar tomb. Arms, a chevron between three leopard's heads
Here lyeth interred the body of Mr John Pettet, merchant, who departed this life the 13 day of September Anno Dom. 1700 aged 42 years
3. An altar tomb surrounded by iron rails.
South side. Mrs Mary Budgen, wife of William Budgen of this parish, gentleman, died 31st July 1805 aged 51 years.
East side. Sacred to the memory of William Budgen, esquire, who departed this life the 27th day of April 1826 in the 75th year of his age.
North side. Elizabeth Budgen daughter of John and Elizabeth Budgen died 24th May 1755 aged 4 years and 10 months. Sacred to the memory of John Budgen, esquire, son of William Budgen, esquire, who died November 26th 1827 aged 38 years.
4. In memory of Mr John Budgen late of this parish who departed this life the 5th February 1780 aged 71. Also Mrs Elizabeth Budgen relict of the above who departed this life the 17th June 1782 aged 67 years.
5. In memory of Edward Stigger late of this parish, wheelwright, who departed this life the 11th December 1785 aged 81 years. Also Elizabeth Stigger wife of the above who died the 7th January 1788 aged 77 years and of Mary Stigger their daughter who died the 1st June 1789 aged 53 years.
6. Here lieth interred the body of Mrs Ann Smalley late of this parish who departed this life April ye 1 1770 aged 37 years. Here also lieth the body of Mr Thomas Smalley late of this parish who departed this life June ye 2nd 1773 in the ............
7. Sacred to the memory of Mrs Elizabeth Banty wife of Mr James Coupland Banty of this parish who departed this life the 15th of April 1848 aged 29 years.
8. In memory of James Dale of this parish who died July 27th 1845 aged 73 years. Also Mary Dale his beloved wife who died August 26th 1849 aged 71 years. Also Maria wife of John Richmond, mariner, and daughter of the above who died August 22nd 1849 aged 41 years.
9. Thomas Hill died February 18th 1842 aged 1 year and 9 months. John Hill died November 30th 1854 aged 1 year and 3 months.
10. In memory of Ann wife of Thomas Hill of this parish, victualler, who died November 12th 1847 aged 33 years.
11. Sacred to the memory of Sarah Maria Millet Warns daughter of Robert and Esther Warns who died April 1st 1841 aged 14 years.
12. Sacred to the memory of Mary wife of William Rufus who was born in the year 1798 at Coalbrookdale in the parish of Madeley Salop and departed this life 27th of February 1853 aged 55 years.
13. Sacred to the memory of Mrs Hannah Durrant wife of Mr John Durrant of this parish who died 25th August 1851 aged 47 years. Also Mr Thomas Durrant who died 28th February 1853 aged 76 years. Also Mrs Sarah Durrant wife of Mr Thomas Durrant who died 4th April 1841 aged 65 years. Also Mr John Durrant of this parish who died 9th September 1854 aged 45 years.
14. To the memory of Mr George Green of this parish who died the 4th of April 1839 aged 36 years. Also William Whitmore Green son of the above who died the 12th of July 1836 aged 1 year and 9 months.
15. In memory of Mr Joseph Ballard of this parish who died July 14th 1851 aged 42 years. This stone is erected by his wife in affectionate remembrance of her beloved husband.
16. George Best died 7th April 1840 aged 9 months and 2 weeks.
17. In memory of Mrs Mary Jegon of this parish who died the 28th day of August 1824 aged 78.
18. Sacred to the memory of Mr Henry Pilcher who departed this life the 29th of June 1838 aged 36 years. This stone is erected as a testimonial f respect by the members of the amicable society of Dartford.
19. Beneath this mound lie the remains of John Dunkin who died suddenly December 22 1846. A brass tablet is erected on the North side of the Ladye Chapel, Dartford Church.
20. In memory of James and Sarah Gibson [sic] son of Charles and Sarah Gibson who was baptized the 13th of November 1704 in the parish of Saint Mary the Virgin in the town and port of Dover after spending many years in this parish he died on the 26th of February 1810 in the 106th year from his Baptism.
21. Sacred to the memory of Mrs Ann Nettlefold wife of Mr William Nettlefold of this parish who departed this life the 15th of August 1830 aged 57 years. Also Mr William Nettlefold who departed this life the 30th July 1834 aged 61 years.
22. Sacred to the memory of Sarah Nettlefold daughter of William and Elizabeth Nettlefold of this parish who departed this life the 16th of December 1820 aged 42 years.
23. In memory of Mr William Nettlefold who departed this life the 18th of September 1789 aged 45 years. Also Amy Nettlefold daughter of the above who died 25th April 1783 aged 18 months and Elizabeth Nettlefold died 29th August 17 aged 4 years. John Nettlefold departed 4th September 1783 aged 5 weeks.
24. Sacred to the memory of Mrs Elizabeth Nettlefold wife of Mr William Nettlefold of this parish who departed this life January the 11 1804 aged 54 years.
25. Here lieth the body of Mrs Ann late wife of Mr Robert Emery of this parish who departed this life the 9th day of February 1745 aged 42 years. John son of the above said Robert and Ann who died in the year 1746 aged two months. Also to the memory of Ann daughter of the above said who departed this life ye 5th of September 1749 aged 11 years.
26. Here lyeth interred the body of Richard Lardner of Ramsden near Witney, Oxon, clerk to Mr John Pettet, brewer, of Dartford who departed this life January ye 27th 1752 aged 43 years.
27. Elizabeth Perfect died 13th November 1763. This stone is erected by her husband William Perfect of West Malling, surgeon, to perpetuate the memory of a wife whose life was a constant lesson of virtue.
28. Sacred to the memory of John Woodham late of the parish of Greenwich, baker, formerly of this parish who departed this life the 8th day of May 1771 aged 41 years. Also two children of John and Elizabeth Woodham; one died 1 April 1769 aged 4 years Elizabeth died 15th May 1771 in the 5th year of her age. Also James Woodham son of the above who died 15th of September 1771 aged 9 years.
29. In memory of Mrs Ann Wright wife of Thomas Wright of this parish, smith and farrier, who departed this life the 16th day of August 1831 aged 55 years. Also Eliza Wright daughter of the above Thomas and Ann Wright who departed this life the 6th day of April 1831 aged 17 years.
An index to the M.I.s in Dartford churchyard Compiled by Zena Bamping