Brabourne with index of names and places at end
Back to Churchyards listed
Some notes on Monumental Inscriptions in Brabourne Church
Taken by Leland L. Duncan August 1890
Typed up by Dawn Weeks , checked by Zena Bamping
Inside the Church
1. In the south aisle is a mural monument:-
In vicino Pulvere / requiescit corpus / peritiet exercitati / Ducio / Gulielmi Richards / In cujus memoriam / Gabriel RICHARDS / de Rowling in parochia / de Goodnestone in hoc / comitatu generosus / ex filijs unus / Monumentum hoc / perpetuum amoris / Pignus Testamento Pie statuit / Anno Domino MDCLXXII
Above is a coat of arms much worn - ? a chevron between 3 fleur de lys.
2. In the nave before the chancel steps a stone:- Here lyeth the body of Jane daughter of Mr John RICHARDS clerk and Ellen his wife, and also of James son of the said John and Ellen Richards who was a modest youth and an obedient child. Jane died August the 7th 1688, James died December the 17th 1718 to ye great grief of his surviving father. The Reverend Mr John RICHARDS departed this life November ye 28 1727 aged 79 Having been possessed of this Vicaridge of Brabourn and the Rectory of Monks Horton 52 years and lyeth here interred.
3. In the chancel is the brass of a knight c 1440 – Inscription gone ? to one of the Scott family.
4. Also a brass of an unmarried lady – Inscription gone.
5. Another brass of a lady with this inscription: Of your charite pray for the soule of Dame Elyzabeth POWNYNGES late wyf to / Sir Edward Pownynges the which Dame Elizabeth decessed the XV day of / August ye yer of our lord god MVCXXVIII, on whose soule Jhu have mercy amen /.
6. Another brass of a knight has this inscription:- Of your charite pray for the soule of Sir William SCOTT knyght which / departyd out of this world ye XXIIII / day of August the yere of our lord / MVCXXIIII on whos sowle of your charite saye a paternoster and an ave /.
End of Brabourne notes August 1890 Leland L Duncan
Index of Names and Places
Richards 1, 2
| Place Index |
Monks Horton 2
| General |
Knight 3, 6