Skip to main content

New Tavern Fort

Preparing for Doomsday

Submitted by Kent Historic … on 6 January 2015

The history and archaeology of a Cold War bunker at Gravesend: a research and reporting project It has been a remarkable – and at times exciting - journey, beginning with the discovery in 1990 of a 13-room Cold War Civil Defence Control Centre under Woodlands Park, Gravesend.   This was built in 1954 and maintained during the first half of the Cold War as a command post for the coordination of local civil defence forces  in the event of an air attack, whether by conventional or nuclear weapons.

Guns at Gravesend

Submitted by Kent Historic … on 10 August 2015

New Tavern Fort (armed from the 1780s-1908) on Gravesend’s riverside displays a regionally important collection of 12 pieces of historic artillery. All are relevant to the site, whether as authentic re-arming of its phases of development or representative of other defences in the district at various dates. The Historic Defences Committee have been pleased to respond to a request from their friends at the fort with an offer of guidelines for continuing maintenance for the guns. This follows information supplied by the HDC at an earlier stage.

General Gordon's Key?

Submitted by Kent Historic … on 20 September 2015
General Gordon's Key General Gordon's Key

In the possession of the writer is an iron key thought to have been used by Lt. Col. Charles G. Gordon (later General of Khartoum fame) during his stay at New Tavern Fort in Gravesend from 1865-71 when acting as Commanding Royal Engineer for the Thames District.