What follows is as far as possible an accurate transcription of two of L.L. Duncan's field notebooks for West Kent memorial inscriptions. They are written up in his shorthand, in pencil, on the site, on rather yellowing, aged paper. The starting date for his work is not given but he dates the last entry as 25.5.19. His little, 6"x 4" note books were purchased near his home from "Lydall & Son, High Class Stationers and Fancy Goods Importers of 75, High Street, Lewisham"!
Frank Bamping, 27 August 2000
W R O T H A M
1. James Fry of this Parish died October 11 1847 aged 47. Also Mary Ann his wife died December 30 1855 aged 55. Also Mary Ann their daughter who died November 25 1849 aged 26. Also Emily their daughter died March 5 1855 aged 17.
2. Thomas Fry of this Parish died December 16 1821 aged 56. Also Eleanor wife of the aforesaid Thomas Fry died January 13 1831 aged 70. Left issue 2 sons and 1 daughter, Thomas, James and Ann. Also Charlotte the affectionate and beloved child of James and Mary Ann Fry of Nepicar in this Parish died July 7 1849 aged 16. Also Elizabeth, John and William who died in their infancy.
3. Thomas son of Thomas and Sarah Fry died July 29 1831 aged 6 months. Also Selby son of the above died September 21 1843 aged 2 years and 7 months.
4. A linked stone - In memory of
of this Parish who
departed this life
May ye 31 1769
aged 72 years.
In memory of
Dyer wife of
John Fry who
departed this life
January ye 26 1774
aged 74 years.
Near this place lie two daughters of John and Dyer Fry viz Issabeela [sic] and Elizabeth.
5. Sarah daughter of John and Ann Fry who died October .... 176[?8] aged [?6] years.
6. Another stone with an illegible inscription but to a child of John and Dyer Fry 178[?].
7. John son of John and Dyer Fry died 8 June 1796 aged 65 years.
Also [?Ann] wife of John Fry and daughter of John and Mary Bowles of Pembury died the 12 May 17[?8}8 aged 48 years. They had issue 3 children viz Sarah who died in infancy, Thomas and John who survived them.
8. Lydia wife of John Fry and daughter of Thomas and [?Ann] Chapman of this Parish who died .... 1800 aged .... years. Also of above John Fry died 28 January 1846 aged 81 years and of 3 children, George died 18.1.1797 aged 5 years, Thomas died in November 1797 aged 9 months. Ann died 9 February 1804 aged 16 years. They left 3 surviving sons, John, Clempson and Charles, and two daughters, [?Lydia] and [?Sarah].
| Name Index |
| Place Index |
Nepicar, Wrotham 2