ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY -- RESEARCH
Studying and sharing Kent's past
The Roman Pottery of Kent by Dr Richard J. Pollard
- Appendix 1 page 203
Doctoral thesis completed in 1982, published 1988
THE SITES (Figs. 2-9)
Data listed in the following order:
1 = site gazetteer number. Abridge — site location (modern).
Essex — county, if not in Kent.
TO 474978 - 4 - or 6 - figure National Grid Reference (c. =
approximate or general location).
V — site type, following system described in Chapter 2. III. L1—4
— period of occupation,
A.D. unless stated otherwise.
* Followed by publication references and (1978—80) location of
material where known.
The following abbreviations for institutions holding pottery have been
Bexley and Erith Museum
Canterbury Royal Museum
Chelmsford and Essex Museum
Canterbury Archaeological Trust
Department of Environment stores, Dover Castle
Kent Archaeological Rescue Unit, Dover Castle
Barbican House Museum, Lewes
Powell-Cotton Museum, Birchington
Passmore-Edwards Museum, Stratford, London
*E = early, M = middle, L = late, ½ = first half, (etc.)
I. Sites studied at first-hand
1. Abridge, Essex TQ 474978 V L1—4 Wilkinson 1977 P-EM.
2. Allington c. TO 738578 VIII L1BC-M1+2. Thompson 1978; 1982, 578—9
3. Arlington, Chilver Bridge, East Sussex c. TQ 535065 VII M2—4
Holden 1979 (note) LM.
4. Aylesford c. TO 7359 IX 1—2 Jessup and Taylor 1932 MM.
5. Bayford c. TQ 913639 IX L1—31E4 Payne 1886 BM.
6. Bearsted, Crismill Farm TQ 8055 IX M1—2 Whiting 1927c MM.
7. Bexley TQ 510744 Ill/Vu L3—M4 Tester 1963 BEM.
8. Billericay, Essex c. TQ 6793 VIII; XI 1BC-1, L2—4; L2—E3 Goodburn
1978, Myres et al. 1974 5.
Page 202 Back to
Appendix 1 Contents Page
For details about the advantages of membership of the
Kent Archaeological Society click
to Publications On-line
to Research Page
Back to Homepage
Kent Archaeological Society is a
registered charity number 223382
© Kent Archaeological Society 2004
This website is constructed
by enthusiastic amateurs. Any errors noticed by other researchers will be
to gratefully received so that we can amend our pages to give as
accurate a record as possible. Please send details too email@example.com