KENT ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY  -- RESEARCH   Studying and sharing Kent's past      Homepage

Archaeologia Cantiana -  Vol. 86  1971  page 130
Eynsford Castle and its Excavation. 
By S. E. Rigold, M.A., F.S.A., F.R.Hist.S.
These webpages are designed to be viewed with the screen resolution set at 800 x 600 and text size at normal. HOW TO

   Z—a phase of some length, after the building of the Great Kitchen: deposits only
         in small pockets.
   Y—after the building of the Hall, includes the construction of the earlier 
          forebuilding and the Great Kitchen.
   X—the destruction of the Old Tower and building of the Hall and Gate-Tower.
   W—the building of the lower curtain and the Old Tower, and the mounding-up
          between them.

   Only from Y to B inclusive does the occupation seem intensive and more or less continuous, with some overlap between pottery forms. Pour phases of pottery (treating BB as a purely structural incident), beginning and ending abruptly, probably fit within the century 1161-1261.
   The uppermost phases, K, E, D, their deposits now removed, will be treated in descending order, the others in ascending order, with reference to the development of the castle.

K. The Hunting Kennels.
   Cresy tells us that these involved much building and that nearly all of it had been removed when he came on the scene. What remains includes the well in the north curtain (g), a little refacing of the north curtain and more refacing of the north wall of the Hall above the floor-level of kennels (i). Joist-holes, and, probably, an unexplained block of masonry (oo) seem to be remains of a range of this date abutting the south-west curtain. Other footings included the front wall of a structure inside the hall (x), a fragment against the east curtain (y) and part of quite a large building with a fireplace, in the middle of the courtyard (z). A certain amount of pottery and ironwork clearly belonged to this phase, but the disturbance of lower strata was slight except in the area of the New Kitchen, where there were many burials of foxhounds, one of which was kept as a contribution to the history of dog-breeding. The bones of a heavy horse were found near the south-west curtain.

E. The Patching-up'
   This must have immediately followed the dismantling. The work was shoddy and probably a face-saving operation to make the building usable for manorial courts; there was no trace of habitation, and no suggestion that the repaired buildings were used for very long. Everything was directly covered by flint rubble debris. It is not clear how much of the building was repaired: the only certain floor (l) covered part only of the undercroft of the porch-tower, as though to accommodate

Previous Page       Back to Page listings       Next page

For details about the advantages of membership of the Kent Archaeological Society   click here

Back the Contents page   Back to Arch. Cant. List   Back to Publications On-line  Back to Research Page  Back to Homepage

Kent Archaeological Society is a registered charity number 223382
© Kent Archaeological Society January 2011

This website is constructed by enthusiastic amateurs. Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to gratefully received so
 that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please send details too