How close the lazaret
approached Russell's and Howard's specifications is not known
since seemingly no plans, prints, or pictures, have survived. The
trades represented on Wyatt's accounts include 'finishing trades';
thus part at least of the lazaret was completed (see Appendix).
Also, maps suggest its size and shape. The 1-inch Ordnance Map of
1819-20 shows three buildings, one substantial in the centre of
the island and two smaller ones in the north-west, consistent with
Russell's proposals. The 6-inch map of 1864-5 shows none of these;
but there are now two buildings in the south-east, one about 75
ft. by 20 ft., and the other about 20 ft. square. The 6-inch maps
of 1896 and 1906 show only the larger of these which by then had
lost a projecting block. These may well have been farm buildings.72
The 1947 Aerial Survey Map shows foundation footings of a
considerable rectangular building running north-west to south-east
(Plate II). Regular compartments seem to be
set off from a central corridor, again consistent with Russell's
proposals. The composition of additional storeys is not known, but
the Marseilles lazaret, the presumed model, was multi-storeyed, as
were the other European lazarets. Some fragments of walls are
still standing and are locally believed to be the remains of a
former 'college' (Plate III). The
architectural style is unknown.
CONSTRUCTION AND FATE
Work started in 1801. The first payment,
£20,000, was made on 10th November, and by 12th April, 1806,
£95,000 had been paid,73 £30,000 above the original
provision. Parliament noted the extra in April, 1804.74
A Treasury scrutineer, George Saunders, subsequently debited
Wyatt's account £1,258 13s. 6½d. (see Appendix). On 3rd May,
1810, an additional £21,000 was appropriated from the
Consolidated Fund.75 This time the accounts were
approved.76 Subsequently a further £55,000 was
advanced by the Customs.77 Incredibly, after 10 years
of work and nearly £200,000 expense, the lazaret was not
completed; but there is some doubt as to what extent even its
incomplete buildings were ever actually used for quarantine
purposes. Baker says that it was used 'for some years',78
and certainly salaries and disbursements of the lazaret attendants
were paid from 1807 to 1820 (although they dropped sharply after
1817), and 'contingent expenses' from 1806 to 1818.79
The 1842 Tithe and Apportionment is blank. The occupier is William
Crayden, Esq.; the usage is pasturage.
73 P.R.O., A.O. 1/2499/434.
74 J.H.C., lix, 233; 44 Geo. in, c.
75 J.H.C., lxv, 681.
76 P.R.O., A.O. 1/2601/448.
77 Select Committee (1824), op.
78 S. Baker, The Laws Relating to
Quarantine, London, Kegan Paul (1879).
79 Accounts and Papers, 1821 (656)