arranged every Thursday evening under the supervision of
Dr. Ogilvie; a detailed report will be issued in due course.
Some excitement was caused by the discovery in Staple
church of a Saxon window, until it was realized that it had been
discovered over 60 years ago and was described in Archaeologia
Cantiana in 1895 (XXI, p. 303). It is not visible from either inside
or outside the church—only from the tower which is difficult of
In June the owner of St. Mary-le-Bone Hill, Great Poulders
Farm, near Sandwich, notified the Inspectorate of Ancient Monuments that
he was about to level the mounds in this field. It had been thought that
these might be a ploughed-out motte and bailey, covering perhaps the
southern approaches to Richborough Castle. Medieval roof tiles are
scattered about. In the event, however, nothing Roman was found.
Foundations were found of chalk and pebble, about 30 feet long, and
walls (?) 3 foot thick, possibly of a very early church.
It is worth mentioning that the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey
6 inch map calls this hill "Marrowbone Hill".
Mr. P. J. Tester reports: In the autumn and early
winter of 1958, I carried out some exploratory digging with the help of
our members Mr. J. E. L. Caiger and Mr. L. C. Dale, at Manor Farm,
Ruxley (TQ 485702), in the hope of discovering the foundations of the
old house noted by Thorpe in Custumale Roffense as visible in the
farmyard at the end of the eighteenth century. Trial holes on the south
side of the thirteenth-century church— now used as a barn—revealed
no evidence of medieval occupation however. In the field immediately
S.W. of the present farmhouse some footings were uncovered, but they
to indicate nothing more than eighteenth-century outbuildings. Part of
the area which was no doubt included in the farmyard in Thorpe’s time
is now covered by a tennis court, swimming pool and ornamental garden.
We concluded that what we were seeking possibly lay beneath these
features where excavation was, of course, out of the question.
Mr. D. T. A. Ponton reports that following the making
of a Building Preservation Order in respect of the 15th-century
hall-house, known as 100-102 High Street, Milton, a Purchase Notice was
served by the owner. At a local hearing held at the Town Hall,
Sittingbourne, on 5th August, 1959, the Society was represented by Mr.
D. T. A. Ponton. He stressed the great importance attached to the
property on account of the key position which it has in a little-altered
part of the Milton High Street and its close proximity to the recently
restored court hail. He pointed out that were this property demolished
and replaced by a modern shop, as was the wish of the owner, not only
would the character of the street be destroyed, but the process of
destruction would be continued by the probable disappearance of other
neighbouring buildings. That this property is the only hall-house
surviving in the Sittingbourne urban district was also enlarged upon.
Mr. J. H. Money sends the following report: Excavations
in the Iron Age fort at High Rocks, which took place during the
week-ends of August and September and from 10th to 19th September, were
devoted to a search