Everard Green, Somerset Herald, he attempted a full and informative pedigree
of "James and Grevis-James of Ightham Court" (Miscellanea
Genealogica, V, 4th series, p. 105).
Sir Thomas lost two of his three sons, the eldest and the
youngest, by enemy action. The youngest son won a posthumous award of the
Victoria Cross. The baronetcy descends to a grandson, Captain J. H. H.
CANON S. W. WHEATLEY, M.A., F.S.A.
By the death of the Rev.
Canon Sydney William Wheatley, which occurred on the 11th of March, 1951,
in his 82nd year, the Society loses an old and valued Member, for he
joined in 1912, served on the Council from 1922 to 1948 and contributed to
Archaeologia Cantiana. Canon Wheatley took his M.A. at Jesus
College, Oxford, was ordained in 1894 and came into the Rochester diocese
in 1899. Six years later he was appointed Vicar of St. Paulís, Four
Elms, Edenbridge, but he will be best remembered by hosts of Rochester
friends through his long service as Vicar of St. Margaretís, Rochester,
a service which extended from 1915 until his retirement in 1947. During
this long period he held many appointments in the diocesan
organization and was editor of the Rochester Diocesan
Chronicle for twenty years. He had a great love for the antiquities of
his Diocese and City, and was always delighted to share his knowledge with
others and lectured extensively to that end; he rendered many years of quiet
service to archaeology as a member of the Museums Committee of the Rochester
City Council. In 1922 he was elected to the Society of Antiquaries. His
quiet and courteous presence will be greatly missed in Rochester. Canon
Wheatley leaves a widow, one son and two daughters.
MRS. ELIZABETH SELBY, M.B.E.
ELIZABETH SELBY, of Beaugill, Lynsted, who died in August, 1950, had been a
member of the Society since 1907, and was Local Secretary for the
Sittingbourne District from 1935 until 1947. She was the author of Teynham
Manor and Hundred, an excellent example of a local history. In addition
to writing the history of Teynham, she took a number of first-rate
photographs of interesting houses in the neighbourhood, and they are now in
the Kent County Records Office. Mrs. Selby had lived in the district for