ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY -- RESEARCH
Studying and sharing Kent's past
Cantiana Vol. 58 - 1945 page 80
Occupation Site above Elham
MR. N. E. Toke writes that it seems worth recording
that he and Mr. T. N. T. Vachell came upon such a site before the War.
The occupation area covered two fields on either side of a footpath
leading from Elham Station eastwards towards Acrise on the flat summit
of the high ground, and beyond the chalk pits shown on the 6 in.
Ordnance Map of Elham. On these two fields—then
arable—almost every piece of flint bore signs of
working; and there were literally hundreds of flakes, scrapers, axes
(roughly chipped into very serviceable edges but with rough butts),
flaking tools, choppers, a few saws, numerous arrowshaft scrapers, rough
lance heads, borers, and large rough celts which
have been used for cultivation, but scarcely any arrow heads. There was
no pottery but he found round stones which bore marks of the fire, and
had evidently been used as pot boilers. He records only one large celt
which shown signs of grinding.
Mr. Toke noted that the absence of well made arrow heads
was curious as he has found good specimens in the valleys, notably on
the Folkestone Golf Course beside the stream which runs through it; and
also at Hougham.
The worked material did not occur for more than 200 yards
on either side of the path though it extended laterally north and south
of it for some way.
Lambeth Palace—the Name
MR. Torr's footnote to his article "A Canterbury Pilgrimage in
1723"1 repeats the statement, now
apparently gaining ground, that the name of Lambeth Palace is a modern
usage: one high authority recently spoke of it as an example of Victorian
snobbery. These ideas should be modified.
A roll of household accounts among the Lambeth Library
manuscripts, dated 1445-6, gives details of repairs to the buildings
"in Palacio Lamheth."2 This was
the official designation of the Manor House, foremost among the many
manors of the primacy throughout Surrey, Kent and Sussex.
The same phrase is used in the Latin writings of men like
Erasmus, who meets Archbishop Warham "in his own palace at
Lambeth,"3 or in the description
which Alexander Aless, Rector of the University of Leipzig, gave to Queen
Elizabeth of his vision of Anne Boleyn's execution and his rush to
Cranmer's "palace" to learn the truth.4
1 Arch. Cant., 1944.
2 Story of Lambeth
Palace. D. Gardiner (Constable, 1930), p. xiv.
3 Ibid., p. 72:
--- cf. Knight, Life of Erasmus (1726), p. 82.
4 Cal. Foreign Papers,
R.O. 1303 (September 1st, 1559), and cf. Gardiner, p. 87.
Page 80 (This page was
prepared for the website by Aaron Meyer)
Previous Page Back to Page Listings
For details about the advantages of membership of the Kent
Archaeological Society click
Page Back to Arch. Cant. List
to Publications On-line Back
to Research Page Back to Homepage
Kent Archaeological Society is a registered
charity number 223382
© Kent Archaeological Society 16th February 2005
This website is constructed by
enthusiastic amateurs. Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to
gratefully received so
that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please
send details too email@example.com