that three Decorated windows, similar to those in the
chancel, originally gave light on each side of the nave; but one on the
north, nearest the east end, and two on the south, have been since
enlarged to three and four-light Perpendicular windows to give
additional light to this part of the church, possibly when the tower was
built. The north wall had, at some time, been banded together by iron
clamps; it was deemed necessary, therefore, when the church was under
restoration, to fill in the two most western window-splays, which had
been imprudently cut away in the olden times.
STOUPS for holy water were found near the two porch
entrances, and restored after the original design.
The FONT is octagonal, of Bethersden marble. It formerly
was plastered over from top to base. Upon opening it the central shaft
was found, and a portion of one
of the original columns; eight new ones were
therefore made after the old pattern.
The POOR BOX with its ENAMEL is of remarkable character,
having three locks, and being fastened by strong iron clamps to a
pedestal of solid oak. A box of this sort, called the Poor Men's box,
was enjoined by Edward VI. It is first mentioned here in 1553, thus:—
a lock of the pore mans' box ij d."
To the lid is attached a curious enamel upon copper.
There are small holes which originally fastened it to its place. This
plate once formed part of a series of subjects, relating to the life of
a saint, fixed on a shrine. The enamel represents a baptism. The priest
is about to take the infant from its mother, and the third person is
evidently a sponsor. The