1573, John Quested for
kepinge out of the dogges iiij d.
1576, John Quested for whipping dogges out of the church
1619, To Sotherden for whipping the doges out of ye
churche iiij d.
To Thomas Hopper for the whip iij d.
Many ancient churches have lost their chancel arch, but
from what cause it is not always known. Here, however, there is no
mystery; for the external walls evidently suffered from the outward
thrust, in supporting the immense roof; and, when the walls gave way, of
course the arch and gable fell. A low brick arch of mean character was
at some period erected to support the original; this modern one
partially shut in the chancel, and gave the whole building an unsightly
appearance. This obstruction was removed in 1869, and also an ugly
tie-beam, which was replaced by
an iron rod. The new arch is an exact reproduction of
the old, being built upon the original springings.
Dividing the chancel from the nave is the lower portion of
the original Chancel Screen. It formed the backs of pews until the
The PULPIT came from Halden Church, having been purchased
from that parish, and adapted to its present position. It stands upon a
raised dais, which originally existed.
REREDOS IN THE NAVE.
Beneath the reredos, on the south side of the chancel arch,
may be seen the remains of an altar stone, which had evidently been
built into the wall, and not merely placed against it, as was usually
the case. The churchwardens' books throw light upon the matter; thus:—