A hitherto unknown survey of Hadlow manor in 1460 turned up out of the blue in 2002, and this book, edited by Joan Thirsk and four co-authors, describes what it tells us about farms, getting a living, lords and their management of the manor, along with the Latin text and an English translation. It is full of maps, plans, and illustrations.
The Kent Hundred Rolls of 1274-5, preserved in the National Archives, provide a mine of information for local historians. Many were printed by the Record Commission in the early nineteenth century, but the two bulky volumes are only to be found in major libraries and the rolls are printed in abbreviated Latin. This new website edition by the Kent Archaeological Society comprises the complete rolls for Kent, in the original Latin and in an English translation by Dr Bridgett Jones.
Download 1 Mb
The unique local interest of the county lay subsidy rolls in the Public Records Office has long been recognized by local record societies. Since the latter half of the nineteenth century they have been responsible for the publication of selected assessments for more than a dozen counties and these have proved a valuable aid to historical and genealogical research. Until now, however, none of the extant assessments for Kent has appeared in print, and the present edition of the fifteenth and tenth of 1334 is an attempt to remedy the deficiency.
Download 2 Mb
The Kilwardby Survey contains the manorial accounts for most of the archbishop of Canterbury’s demesne manors in South-East England; these were the manors which the archbishop farmed himself, and they provided him with both food and income. The Survey covers the archbishop’s manors in Surrey and Middlesex: namely, Lambeth, his seat near London and Westminster, Wimbledon and Croydon; and Harrow and Hayes. His manors in West Sussex are included, the most important being Pagham.
Download 1.5 Mb
This catalogue may be read in conjunction with ‘The Coinage of William I in Kent’, by the same author, in Archaeologia Cantiana, cxxviii (2008), 59-74
Download 100 Kb
The Wardens of the Town Lands of Tonbridge are Trustees of one of the oldest charities in England. The Town Lands are first mentioned in a document of 1430 dealing with land near Lodge Oak – just under a mile south east of the town centre. The donors are not known. In the earliest surviving Indenture made in the seventeenth year of the reign of Queen Elizabeth(1575) the Wardens held “eight parcels of Land and Meadow commonly called The Town Lands containing in the whole by estimation Thirty Acres more or less….” The lands were so well known to the 1500 people of the huge parish of Tonbridge that it was not necessary to describe them further.
Download 7.5 Mb
Judy Buckley researched the Maidstone oligarchy for her MA by Research at the University of Greenwich in 2008, and has based this book on her dissertation. It describes the origins, occupations, wealth and ideology of the jurats chosen from the granting of Maidstone’s first charter until the Restoration. A wealth of new material from original sources will make this a useful book for urban, local and family historians.
Download 1.6 Mb
To buy a paper copy go to http://www.the-miscellany.co.uk/books