1373 was in the vicinity of the existing Chingley Manor (N.G.R.
TQ 693333). This lies geologically in an area of Tunbridge Wells Sand and
the stone used for the new cloister at Boxley was therefore sandstone,
referred to in the 1373 agreement as Ston of grece, a term
interpreted by Salzman as ‘grit-stone’. The provision that the stone
was to be carted before the hay harvest implies that the Abbey’s hay
wains were used to bring the material the eighteen or more miles from the
quarry to Boxley.
BOXLEY ABBEY IN 1801
not suitable for direct reproduction, and Mr. Caiger has redrawn it,
together with Smith’s view of the house, for inclusion here as Figs 9 and Fig.
10. This reveals that the existing house (Plate
IIIB) is only a surviving
remnant of a much larger post-Dissolution establishment covering the site of
the monastic west range, although exactly when and in what circumstances the
greater part of the house was destroyed is unknown. Tudor chimneys can be
seen in the drawing above the roof-line and one of them survives on the
south side (Plate IV). The front was transformed in the eighteenth century,
and at some time since 1801 the wing projecting westward was shortened to
its present extent. Considerable alteration took place on its southeast
corner in the 1930s and the internal arrangements today bear little
resemblance to those shown by Smith.
Previous page Back to Page listings Next page
For details about the advantages of membership of the Kent Archaeological Society click here
Back to Contents Page To Arch. Cant. List To Publications On-line To Research Page To Homepage
Kent Archaeological Society is a registered
charity number 223382
© Kent Archaeological Society 2003
This website is constructed by
enthusiastic amateurs. Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to
gratefully received so
that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please send details too firstname.lastname@example.org