A report detailing the area investigated is in the Otford and District
Historical Society’s records.
Ironically, at the time of writing, mechanical excavators
have just resumed operations and revealed further graves in removing more
of the roadside bank on the west side of A21 at the northern extremity of
the area covered by the plan on p. 278 of Arch. Cant., LXX.
Observation on the site is being maintained.
"DANES TRENCH ", POLHILL
It is understood that a major project for the straightening
of the A21 road up Polhill is contemplated, which if carried out may
endanger much of "Danes Trench ". This fine earthwork, defensive
in character but of unknown origin, follows the foot of the steep slope of
Polhill to the east of the road for a distance of some six hundred yards.
A. P. Stoyel.
ARCHAEOLOGICAL NOTES FROM MAIDSTONE MUSEUM
A recent accession to the Museum (accession no. 84.1958) has
been the bottom portion of a beehive quern
of puddingstone. It was found in the Newlands Sandpit of Messrs. H. R.
King and Company. This pit lies to the West of Newlands medieval chapel
and it, was there that Mr. Alan Warhurst, Mr. Ronald Haynes and the
writer found a great deal of fragments of Belgic pottery in 1952. At
least one complete Belgic pot (Museum Accession No. 23.1952) has come
from the site.
Dimensions of quern, Greatest diameter, 1 ft. ˝ in.
Height, approx. 34 in. There are remains of a metal central pivot.
(2) CHATHAM AND ROCHESTER
A Chatham ˝d. token of Richard Ien, 1668 (Williamson’s Boyne,
No. 95), was recently found on the site of the Old Brewery,
Theobalds Square, Rochester. Museum Accession No. 11.1959.
The gold solidus of the Emperor Valentinian (A.D. 364-375), found at
Dully Wood, Doddington, and mentioned in Arch. Cant., XXV, pp.
lxvi-lxvii, has now been presented by our member, Mr. Ronald Haynes, to
Maidstone Museum (Accession No. 9.1959).