Four pots were found in the bottom 2½ feet of silt; one, over a foot
high, was in almost perfect condition, the others shattered but capable of
complete reconstruction. These were undoubtedly vessels used for drawing
water and lost down the well by accident.
The unexpected discovery of this Roman settlement has
recalled the fact that in 1883 an unassociated hoard of 836 coins ranging
from A.D. 306 to 353 was dug up by chance in this same field (Arch.
Cant., XV, 321).1
A great deal has been accomplished in the three weeks, due to
the enthusiasm and hard work of all those taking part, aided by good
weather. As the general circumstances are most favourable and a good team
of local diggers has been formed, it is proposed that the Society should
continue work here in 1960 with a view to obtaining more evidence
concerning the nature and extent of the Roman settlement. As this lies
close to the line of Watling Street it may have been a place of some
Less than half the sum of £40 set aside by the Society to
meet the expenses of the first season’s work has been spent. Much of
this saving is due to the generous loan of tools and other necessary
equipment, and the willing co-operation of the voluntary diggers in
back-filling the excavations at the end of the August session to avoid the
cost of hiring labour for the purpose.
Permission for the recent digging was kindly given by the landowners,
Lord Darnley and the Ministry of Works.
P. J. Tester.
THE ANGLO-SAXON CEMETERY AT POLHILL
The excavations at this site by members of the Otford and
District Historical Society under the aegis of Maidstone Museum have
already been mentioned in Arch. Cant., LXX (1956), P. 280. During
the summer months of 1956 and 1958 a grid laid out in the quarry field
to the west of the A21 road was opened, with the work being directed by
Mr. L. E. Tomkins, F.R.I.C.S. Previously, the mechanical excavator’s
wholesale removal of the bank immediately east of the grid had disclosed
eight of the graves reported on by Miss Blumstein. It was, therefore, a
great disappointment that the patient and systematic archeological
investigation proved almost completely fruitless. No further graves came
to light and the only finds (kindly identified by Maidstone Museum) were
(1) coin of Magnentius (A.D. 350-353).
(2) small bronze penannular brooch comparable with one from Springhead,2
of the first half of the first century.
1 The exact find-spot is
shown on Ruck’s original plan, a blueprint of which is preserved in
2 Arch. Cant., LXXI, p. 98, Fig.