KENT ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY  -- RESEARCH   Studying and sharing Kent's past      Homepage

     Archaeologia Cantiana Vol. 73 - 1959 page 219
                    Researches and Discoveries in Kent continued

   Traces of early work apart from those already mentioned were generally shown to have been obliterated in the course of alterations to the church, notably the addition of the south aisle and chapel and the reconstruction of the present chancel with its well known timber rood screen. These operations, together with the erection of the porch, appear to belong to a single period of work and can be ascribed with some degree of certainty to the time of Henry VIII and Catherine of Aragon on the strength of the carved rose and pomegranate which appear in the spandrels of the doorway to the rood stair, the latter motif being repeated in a band of carving throughout the length of the screen.
   It was clear that the floor-level of the nave and aisle was several inches higher in the sixteenth century than it is now, and there was apparently a rise of two steps to the chancel and south chapel. Late burial vaults of local families were visible beneath the floors of both chapels.
    A copy of the full report on the excavations has been lodged with the K.A.S. Library. This contains acknowledgements of the valuable assistance received from various quarters, but the enthusiastic cooperation of the Rev. V. S. Edwards, M.A., Vicar of Shoreham, should be mentioned here ; he made the investigation not only possible but a particular pleasure to undertake.
                                                                 A. D. Stoyel.

A PROBABLE ROMAN INTERMENT AT DEAL
   Two first-century vessels were found 100 yards south-west of Douglas Avenue, of Mill Hill, Deal, in a disused chalk quarry. Grid. Ref. TQ (51) 362512 (East Kent No. 173).
   They were discovered by the father of Mr. R. A. Adamson of West Wickham, Kent, in about 1890. They appear to indicate the presence of an urn field, of which this is a solitary example. The vessels are now in the possession of Mr. R. I. Little.
(See Belgic site near at hand. "Iron age C ".)
  
(a). Urn of soft black ware, height 7 in., diameter, 5 in., base, 2 in. Restored from fragments and showing characteristic first century features, such as cordoning, and pecked decoration. This vessel was presumably used as a receptacle for ashes.
   (b). Samian patera. Form 18. Height, 1 in., diameter, 6 in., base 3 in. Stamped BASSI, the work of the potter Bassus from La Graufesenque. This specimen is in almost perfect condition, and shows defects due to impurities in the clay body. Claudian-Vespasian.A.D. 40-80.
                                                                   K. D. Hore

Previous Page       Back to Page Listings       Next page 

For details about the advantages of membership of the Kent Archaeological Society   click here

 Back to Contents Page   Back to Arch. Cant. List   Back to Publications On-line  Back to Research Page  To Homepage

Kent Archaeological Society is a registered charity number 223382
Kent Archaeological Society August 2004     

This website is constructed by enthusiastic amateurs. Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to gratefully received so
 that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please send details too research@kentarchaeology.org.uk