The majority of the pottery louvers from southern England are
large dome- or beehive-shaped structures, widest at the base, and about
15-20 in. in diameter and about the same height. The apertures are either
circular, triangular or rectangular, and the shapes may occur singly or
together on the same louver. On some louvers the openings are provided
with rims or flanges projecting from the side to act as baffle plates.
Examples of this type are from Stonar and New Romney in Kent, The More,
Herts.,1 Warrington, Warwicks, and Bristol. On other louvers
the openings are simply cut out of the side, and the structure is given a
more formal appearance by applied cordons and strips, which divide the
surface into stages and panels. The Bexley louvers are good examples of
DISPOSAL OF FINDS
All the material obtained during this excavation is retained by the
present owner of Cray House, Mr. N. P. Knight.
P. J. Tester.
J. E. L. Caiger
RECENT DISCOVERIES AT SHOREHAM CHURCH
At the Darent valley church of St. Peter and St. Paul,
Shoreham, a rare opportunity for archaeological research beneath the floor
of the nave and south aisle recently arose while work was in progress on
the laying of paving stones.
investigation was carried out by the writer, with help from the Vicar
and Mr. R. Booker, between December, 1956, and September, 1957, and was
followed by a further series of small excavations round the base of the
tower by the writer in September, 1958. The object was to remove some of
the doubts which existed as to the medieval stages of development of the
fabric. Brief architectural notes on this church by our member, Mr. F.
C. Elliston-Erwood, F.S.A., appeared, together with a plan,2 in
Arch. Cant., LXV (1952) and in more than one respect the recent
discoveries testify to the soundness of conclusions which he expressed
as conjectural at the time.
The most important outcome of the investigation was that
footings of walls of the Norman chancel were brought to light. This was
a small rectangular structure and, as the accompanying diagram will
show, its lay-out was as indicated on Mr. Elliston-Erwood’s plan
except that the site was some six feet further east. The footings
revealed were those of a short stretch of the east and the full length
of the north chancel walls, with the adjoining east wall of the Norman
nave from its northern extremity to the respond of the chancel arch.
Journ., CXV, forthcoming.
2 It should be noted that the scale
on the plan in Arch. Cant., LXV, was unfortunately misprinted to
read in stages up to 30 feet instead of 50 feet.