KENT ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY  -- RESEARCH   Studying and sharing Kent's past      Homepage

     Archaeologia Cantiana Vol. 73 - 1959 page 207

Researches and Discoveries in Kent

HIGHAM ABBEY
   The farmhouse known as Abbey Farm which contained a substantial amount of the medieval stonework originally forming part of the abbey or nunnery was demolished in June this year. During the demolition a substantial wall indicating a two storey range of buildings running from north to south was disclosed which was apparently late 14th century date. It is hoped to publish further information in a later volume.

ST. KATHERINE’S, SHORNE
   With reference to the papers by G. M. Arnold in Vols. XX and XXIII of Archaeologia Cantiana in which he stated that no traces of any other buildings had been found around the chapel, in April 1959, workmen digging a trench for drainage approximately 30 feet to the north of the existing chapel uncovered a substantial flint wall some 18 inches to 2 feet thick and extending some 2 feet into the ground and partially demolished it. This wall ran parallel with the north wall of the chapel for a distance of approximately 45 feet. Circumstances prevented any further investigation but the wall was clearly part of a substantial building and further investigation should be carried out, if possible, to trace its purpose.

ROMAN BUILDING AT CHALK
   In June this year during building operations carried on upon the the site of a house known as West Filborough, Lower Higham Road, some remains, consisting of fragments of pottery and human skull, were uncovered. The skull and pottery were associated but exact positions could not be given for the pottery. The pottery (last seen at Gravesend Library) was Roman probably 2nd century. Upon further enquiry of the neighbourhood it was discovered that at map reference 119917 (500 feet to the south west of the finds on the building site) a substantial quantity of roman tile and hypocaust tile could be observed in the plough lands. As a result of excavation in the fields (with the kind consent of Mr. Smith the tenant of the small holding) at a depth of 4 feet a well coursed chalk wall was discovered running roughly south-west north-east which was crossed by a flint wall running approximately north and south. The whole excavation was through a mass of broken plaster of Roman type with chalk and stone rubble

                                   Back to Page Listings     Next page               

For details about the advantages of membership of the Kent Archaeological Society   click here

 Back to Contents Page   Back to Arch. Cant. List   Back to Publications On-line  Back to Research Page  To Homepage

 Kent Archaeological Society is a registered charity number 223382
© Kent Archaeological Society August 2004     

This website is constructed by enthusiastic amateurs. Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to gratefully received so
 that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please send details too research@kentarchaeology.org.uk