KENT ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY  -- RESEARCH   Studying and sharing Kent's past      Homepage

Archaeologia Cantiana -  Vol. 73 - 1959  page 196

The Anglo-Saxon Plane from Sarre. By G.C. Dunning, F.S.A. and W. L. Goodman

The plane was found in grave 26 of the Anglo-Saxon cemetery at Sarre in 1863; it is briefly described and figured in the excavation reports, 1 though its real nature was first recognized by Baldwin Brown.2 The plane was on the left side of the body, together with iron keys. A bronze balance and scale-pans and a set of nineteen weights lay at the left foot, and elsewhere was a shield boss, a spearhead, a bronze buckle and a purse mount. The grave-goods indicate the burial of a man in the sixth century.
   The plane consists of two parts of different materials.
   The base-plate is of bronze, 6.05 in. long and 1.3 in. wide. Near each end is a vertical stop to hold the stock or body-piece of the plane. The front stop is cast in one piece with the base-plate, but the rear stop is folded back over the base-plate, hammered tight against it, and then bent up at right-angles. One-third back from the front edge is a rectangular slot, 0.8 by 0.4 in., bevelled along the rear side for the cutting iron.
   The stock has a cellular structure longitudinally and is denser in the lower part. It is, therefore, bony in nature, and its size suggests that it is too large to be made from a limb bone but was cut from the beam of a large red deer’s antler. The stock is 5.15 in. long, 1.2 in. wide and 1.2 in. 

high. The underneath surface and the ends are carefully made flat and squared, so that the stock fits tightly into the base-plate.
   The slot for the cutting iron and its wedge, and for the discharge of shavings in front of the iron, is cut to fit accurately over the slot in the base-plate. It is 2.1 in. long at the top, 0.75 in. wide for the cutting iron, narrowing to 0.6 in. wide in front. The difference in width is hardly sufficient to allow for a shoulder on each side to engage the wedge holding the cutting iron in position. Probably this was done by an iron bar fixed across the slot, but, unfortunately, this part of the stock is broken away on both sides.
   The back part of the stock is pierced from side to side by an oval hole, 1.3 in. long and 0.35 in. high, for holding the plane when in use. The hole comfortably takes the end of the thumb on one side and two fingers on the other, enabling the plane to be lightly but firmly held between the finger tips. The back end of the stock is rounded to conform with the end of the hole.
   1 Arch. Cant., VI, 162; VII, p1. XIII.
   
2 The Arts in Early England, IV, 415, p1. XCVII, 2 (wrongly
          assigned to Bifrons).

Page 196

                       Back to Page Listings    Next page   

For details about the advantages of membership of the Kent Archaeological Society   click here

Back to Contents Page    Back to Arch. Cant. List   Back to Publications On-line  Back to Research Page  To Homepage

  Kent Archaeological Society is a registered charity number 223382
© Kent Archaeological Society July 2004     

This website is constructed by enthusiastic amateurs. Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to gratefully received so
 that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please send details too research@kentarchaeology.org.uk