KENT ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY  -- RESEARCH   Studying and sharing Kent's past      Homepage

     Archaeologia Cantiana Vol. 73 - 1959 page 189
More Notes on Kentish Roads. By F. C. Elliston-Erwood, F.S.A.  continued

   Meetings of Trustees were rarely more than one or two a year (three in 1837 and five in 1852) with only a little more interest as the life of the Trust drew to a close in 1877-8. Meetings were held at the" Swan" in Malling and the "Crown" at Rochester alternatively though the "Five Bells" at Halling (1851) and the "Bull" at Snodland (1852) Assembly Rooms West Malling (1852) Mr. Dudlow’s House at West Mailing (1852) and the Snodland Institute (1877-8) also were occasional meeting places.
   The Administration of the Trust is noteworthy for the absence of any great schemes of the road improvement after the initial work on the southern end of the road to which reference has been made but it has one feature rare in Turnpike matters, namely a definite policy of debt reduction as the table of Finance which follows will clearly show.
   In 1836 a small improvement was suggested at Leyborne Mill but it held up because adjoining landowners would not contribute to its cost though they would benefit from the improvement. Sir Joseph Hawley came to the assistance of the Trust and agreed to bear the whole cost if the Trustees would repay him £20 on the completion of the work. It was another advantageous scheme for Sir Joseph.
Similarly another proposal for a new road at ‘Holboro’ (Holborough) was considered worthy of attention but the Trust had seventeen years arrears of interest due to creditors, and would not incur fresh debts 

though they were willing to allow the most interested landowner, a Mr. Lee, to do the work at his own expense and take the old road in exchange but nothing seems to have come from the proposals. The like fate befell another proposal by Sir Joseph Hawley to carry out improvements at Leyborne and construct a 20’ road and a 5’ footpath "stoned to a width of fifteen feet with material that would pass through a two inch ring and eight to four inches thick with water courses, brick bridges etc. and maintain it for two years after which it was to be taken over by the Trust and the old road surrendered. This sounds like the application of Macadam’s principles but nothing happened.
   A slight difference with the surveyors of Cuxton, Halling and Strood over the apportionment of the Highway Rate, an echo of the earlier parochial quarrels over ‘Statute Duty’, was settled in face of a threat to raise the Tolls. Claims for compensation, encroachments, problems of the General Post Office and their telegraph posts along the road, tramways for the conveyance of chalk across the highway are among the very few questions that arose, but it would appear that most of these matters were delegated to the Surveyor and Clerk and it was only matters of interest reduction that really concerned the Trustees as for instance when in 1852 they proposed to reduce the interest on loans from 5% to 3% but the Road Office in London did not consider

Page 189 

Previous page    Back to Page Listings     Next page     

For details about the advantages of membership of the Kent Archaeological Society   click here

 Back to Contents Page   Back to Arch. Cant. List   Back to Publications On-line  Back to Research Page  To Homepage

  Kent Archaeological Society is a registered charity number 223382
© Kent Archaeological Society July 2004     

This website is constructed by enthusiastic amateurs. Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to gratefully received so
 that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please send details too research@kentarchaeology.org.uk