the late 13th century existed at Earlswood. Other pottery centres, some
slightly later in date, were located further west in Surrey and in east
Hampshire. It is probable that most if not all these workshops existed
primarily to supply pottery in bulk to London.1
In addition the pottery centres, particularly those located
in east Surrey, found a ready outlet for their wares to settlements of
various kinds (such as castles, manors, etc.) in north-west Kent. Thus
it comes about that at these places the pottery includes jugs of high
quality and fine in style that for the most part were destined for the
City. The specific interest of the pottery from Joyden's Wood is that it
provides a neat demonstration of the sources of pottery available alike
to the City merchants and to dwellers in the country.
1 The evidence is discussed more
fully in the London Museum Medieval Catalogue, 211, and in Trans.
English Ceramic Circle, vol. 2 (1945), p. 236.