KENT ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY  -- RESEARCH   Studying and sharing Kent's past      Homepage

Archaeologia Cantiana -  Vol. 72  1958  page 29
Medieval Buildings in the Joyden’s Wood Square Earthwork. 
   By P. J. Tester, F.S.A. and J. E. L. Caiger
These webpages are designed to be viewed with the screen resolution set at 800 x 600 and text size at normal. HOW TO

anything to which it might be fixed. It has, however, never been used and is solidly filled with the bedding mortar. A possible explanation is that the tile could also have been made to use as a hip tile, in which case the provision of a wooden peg to prevent the tile slipping down the sloping roof would be desirable."
   To these observations it may be added that this particular specimen occurred with a mass of other tiles, just beyond the N.E. end of the hall as though they had slipped from part of its roof pitched at right-angles to the length of the building. As very few tiles occurred in the same relative position at the opposite end, while they occurred plentifully along the sides, it might be inferred that the roof was hipped at its N.E. end and gabled at the other.
   Uneven patches of brownish-green glaze occurred on all these types of tiles and this is regarded as an entirely fortuitous feature. Roof-tiles were sometimes made in kilns also firing glazed encaustic floor-tiles, as proved by the discovery at Tyler Hill, near Canterbury, recorded in Arch. Cant., LXII, p. 148. If both were made at the same bench, the powdered galena used on the floor-tiles could easily come into contact with the roof-tiles by accident. In making these the workman filled his mould with clay, struck off the excess and then inverted the mould on the bench. If the latter had upon it a scatter of galena it would adhere to the under side of the tile and produce patches of glaze when fired. It has been noted particularly that the glazing on the Joyden's Wood tiles is chiefly on the under side, which accords very well with this explanation.
   Lesnes Abbey owned a tile kiln on the adjoining Manor of Baldwyns in the early 16th century.1 Tile Kiln Lane, which runs within 500 yards of the square earthwork, takes its name from this fact. In view of the probable identification of the site with Ocholt, also a possession of this Abbey, we are led to wonder whether the tiles found in our excavation were made locally in a kiln which preceded that recorded in the 16th century. Monastic houses often owned tile-yards on their estates. Battle Abbey had one which produced over 100,000 tiles a year in the 14th century, and in the same period the Cistercians possessed then-own tilery at Boxley.2
   Painted, Glass. The few fragments which occurred among the exiguous footings N.E. of the hall were submitted to our member, Mr. C. R. Councer, F.S.A., who states that they are undoubtedly of medieval age and bear some resemblance to pieces dug up at Lesnes Abbey. He notes that the largest piece is painted in brown enamel but not enough of the character of the painting is apparent to enable an accurate date to be put to it. Mr. Councer concludes that the
   A. W. Clapham, Lesnes Abbey (1916), pp. 28 and 36.
   F. W. Jessup, A History of Kent (1958), p. 108.

Previous page       Back to Page listings       Next page

For details about the advantages of membership of the Kent Archaeological Society   click here

Back the Contents page   Back to Arch. Cant. List   Back to Publications On-line  Back to Research Page  Back to Homepage

Kent Archaeological Society is a registered charity number 223382
© Kent Archaeological Society 10th January 2011

This website is constructed by enthusiastic amateurs. Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to gratefully received so
 that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please send details too research@kentarchaeology.org.uk