KENT ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY  -- RESEARCH   Studying and sharing Kent's past      Homepage

Archaeologia Cantiana -  Vol. 72  1958  page 26
Medieval Buildings in the Joyden’s Wood Square Earthwork. 
   By P. J. Tester, F.S.A. and J. E. L. Caiger
These webpages are designed to be viewed with the screen resolution set at 800 x 600 and text size at normal. HOW TO

older than the buildings and some modification of the internal arrangements was made to accommodate them.
   These facts accord with some external evidence suggesting a late-12th or early-13th century origin for the Joyden's Wood enclosure. In 1952-53 Mr. Brian Hope-Taylor, F.S.A., excavated the earthwork at Preston, near Tadworth, Surrey, which bears a marked resemblance to that at Joyden's Wood, and showed it to have been constructed c.1180-1200. Within it were remains of two successive halls, one of which, Mr. Hope-Taylor informs us, was similar to that at Joyden's Wood. He also remarks that the relationship of the buildings and earthworks was practically the same, and there was a general resemblance in the way the lesser buildings were grouped around the greater. The form and material of the footings also appear to be similar. Sunken tracks, probably cattle droveways, were associated with both enclosures. Mr. Hope-Taylor's report on Preston has not yet been published and we are grateful to him for permission to refer here to his findings. It is understood that the Preston report will include a general consideration of the purpose of these medieval enclosures in S.E. England with a discussion of their social and economic significance.

DESCRIPTION OF THE FINDS
   The finds were remarkably few and, apart from the tiles and pottery, of slight interest. The floor of the hall certainly did not furnish confirmation of the lurid picture usually drawn of the filth and squalor of medieval houses, the surviving rubbish consisting of some potsherds, with a few bone fragments and oyster shells, generally accumulated against the side walls and towards the N.E. end. The bones were too few and fragmentary to supply any reliable evidence of the occupants' diet.
   Iron nails from the destroyed superstructure littered the site, the majority being 3 to 4 in. long. Although undoubtedly medieval they differ little from those commonly found on Roman sites, being square in section with large, flat heads.
   A small bronze belt-chape or strap-end, 0-8 in. long and perfectly plain, occurred in the floor of Outbuilding 2 and was the only object which could be classed as a personal ornament.
   Pottery. This has been very fully dealt with by Mr. G. C. Dunning in an appendix to this report.
   Tiles. Specimens of several forms of roof-tile were recovered from stratified contexts which enable them to be referred with certainty to the late-13th or early-14th century. They are all of reddish colour and many show evidence of slight distortion during manufacture. A speckled appearance in some is due to the inclusion of crushed tile in

Previous page       Back to Page listings       Next page

For details about the advantages of membership of the Kent Archaeological Society   click here

Back the Contents page   Back to Arch. Cant. List   Back to Publications On-line  Back to Research Page  Back to Homepage

Kent Archaeological Society is a registered charity number 223382
© Kent Archaeological Society 10th January 2011

This website is constructed by enthusiastic amateurs. Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to gratefully received so
 that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please send details too research@kentarchaeology.org.uk