are inclined to think that these remains were related
to an oven or similar structure.
Incorporated in the footings of this building were several
pieces of Greensand with close vertical tooling, indicative of work not
earlier than the second half of the 12th century. These stones must have
originated well outside this locality and probably represent either
waste material from a mason's bench or re-used stone from another
building, not necessarily one standing on this site. In the same
situation there occurred some flat pieces of Niedermendig lava,
evidently portions of querns. This material was often used for querns in
Roman times, and it is recalled that near Building D there were found in
1939 a few sherds of undoubted Roman pottery.1 Nothing of
this period was, however, found in all our recent digging and the
medieval age of Building D is not in doubt.
This was excavated by some members of the Dartford District
Antiquarian Society in 1939 and an account was published by Mr. H. M.
Colvin, M.A., in Arch. Cant., LXI (1948). Nothing can be added to
his description and during our researches the angles of the building
were alone re-excavated in order to plot its position on our plan. The
details of the structure as shown are taken from Mr. Colvin's
unpublished plan which he has most kindly allowed us to use. Pottery
referred by Mr. G. C. Dunning to the late 13th century was found in
association by the excavators in 1939.
The well shown on the plan was almost certainly related to
the medieval occupation of the site, in spite of a persistent popular
belief in its Roman origin. Eighty years ago it was noted by F. C. J.
Spurrell to have been over 100 ft. deep, though by 1958 it had been
filled to 75 ft. The upper part of the shaft, which was 3 ft. 9 in. in
diameter, was steined with flints for a depth of 26 ft. in order to
retain the Thanet Sand through which it passed before entering the
underlying chalk. A great deal of the lower part of the original
steining had collapsed into the shaft in recent times. No doubt this
well was the chief source of fresh water for the medieval settlement. At
present the nearest surface spring on this sandy plateau is over half a
mile to the west, and is marked on the O.S. 6 in. Sheet as Hadlow Well.
Both Spurrell and Hogg noted another well—now destroyed—about
250 yards S.E. of that in the square earthwork. Spurrell remarked that
it was associated with the remains of a probable medieval cottage.2
1 Arch. Cant. LXI.,
2 Arch. Journal, 1882.