was a large block of chalk set diagonally in the wall at floor-level so
that one corner projected inward for about 6 in. to support some feature
of the superstructure. There were remains of a partition forming a
narrow apartment at the east end, similar to those shown on the plan of
Building D, and these are thought to have been byres such as were
commonly situated at the ends of medieval cottages.
A few potsherds on the remaining part of the earth floor
were closely similar to those from the hall and suggest that the
building was used for human habitation. Numerous fallen tiles indicated
the nature of the roof-covering and identical tiles were bedded into the
footings in several places. It is uncertain whether the gap in the S.
wall marks the original entrance, as the opening was rather wide and the
ends of the walls disintegrated.
Hogg's suggestion that the building might have been buried
by the construction of the "rectangular mound" in which it
stood was tested on account of its important bearing on the age of the
earthworks. It was found that the appearance of the "mound"
was partly an illusion due to the wide, shallow ditch or trackway
bounding its W. side, enhanced by soil-creep from the bank. Levels were
taken over this part of the site, from which it was ascertained that the
base of the footings of Building A which had escaped disturbance had not
been set more deeply than those of the hall, and there was no
stratigraphical evidence to suggest that the construction of the
adjoining earthworks post-dated the destruction of the building.
Excavations undertaken by our member, Mr. P. C. Elliston
Erwood, F.S.A., in 1925, revealed the rubble footings of this small
structure which is believed to have been a cart lodge. Some medieval
potsherds were found in association. An account of these researches was
published in Jour. Brit. Arch. Assoc., N.S. XXXIV (1928).
On the S.E. side of the hall we discovered further flint
and chalk footings of a roughly square timber building. The presence of
large trees prevented total excavation and a trench across the middle
produced only the usual tile scatter. In clearing the footings some
late-13th or early-14th century sherds were found. Near the E. corner
there was an outlet composed of large squared chalk blocks forming a
narrow passage like the flue of a kiln. It formerly connected with some
feature outside, which had been reduced to a spread of scattered tiles
and rubble. Marks of burning and ash were in evidence and we