KENT ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY  -- RESEARCH   Studying and sharing Kent's past      Homepage

Archaeologia Cantiana -  Vol. 72  1958  page 22
Medieval Buildings in the Joyden’s Wood Square Earthwork. 
   By P. J. Tester, F.S.A. and J. E. L. Caiger
These webpages are designed to be viewed with the screen resolution set at 800 x 600 and text size at normal. HOW TO

tiles or other fire-proof material, but its purpose cannot be determined with, certainty.
   A group of rather fragmentary post-settings occurred on the S.E. side and it is thought that they may have supported a bench or something similar. Another occurred in the floor of the supposed buttery in the east corner.
   Outbuilding 1 had its entrance at the S.W. end where there was a corresponding break in the low bank. One wall was continued beyond the length of the narrow building in a manner suggesting a porch, open on two sides, covering the entrance. No tiles were found in association with this outbuilding and it may therefore have been thatched. There was an entire absence of pottery or other domestic rubbish on the floor and the place may well have been a cattle byre or stable.
   Outbuilding 2 had substantial chalk footings and was apparently open on one side. The sandy floor contained domestic rubbish, such as bones, oyster shells, potsherds and an iron door-bolt, for a depth of about a foot. There was also a very large flint nodule set in the floor. We were unable to excavate the area S.E. of this point but the accumulation of rubbish referred to suggested that the kitchen was situated hereabouts. Immediately to the N.E. there were some fragmentary footings which we were unfortunately prevented from exploring fully. A few pieces of medieval painted glass were found during their partial excavation.
   Two spreads of rammed chalk outside the northern angle of the hall may have been remains of the floor of an attached structure of such flimsy construction that no other indications had survived.

BUILDING A
   During Mr. A. H. A. Hogg's survey in 1934 (Arch. Cant., LTV, 10-27) he observed two fragments of walls exposed in the sides of a modern rubbish pit, from which he inferred the existence of an undiscovered building at this point. The correctness of this was proved when we came to excavate the adjoining area and revealed the footings of a rectangular structure measuring externally 29 by 16 ft. Gaps in the north and west walls marked the original positions of Hogg's two fragments which had collapsed into the pit during the last twenty years and become covered by further accumulations of rubbish.
   The footings were well constructed of roughly squared and mortared chalk blocks, evidently intended to support a timber building. Most of the original floor had been destroyed by the pit but the east end was fairly intact and the footings at the N.E. corner were particularly well preserved, the walls being 9 in. thick and 1 ft. high. In the east end

Previous page       Back to Page listings       Next page

For details about the advantages of membership of the Kent Archaeological Society   click here

Back the Contents page   Back to Arch. Cant. List   Back to Publications On-line  Back to Research Page  Back to Homepage

Kent Archaeological Society is a registered charity number 223382
© Kent Archaeological Society 10th January 2011

This website is constructed by enthusiastic amateurs. Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to gratefully received so
 that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please send details too research@kentarchaeology.org.uk