formed in the timber framing of the walls, filled,
with lattice and provided with shutters as a protection from
the-weather. A few fragments of painted glass mentioned below as having
been found to the N.E. of the hall are no indication that glazing was
Roughly mid-way along both sides, the footings had been
"thickened for a short distance to form pronounced internal
projections. It is thought that from these points there probably arose
the substantial wall-posts of an open central truss supporting the roof,
its curved braces beneath the tie-beam crossing the hall like a timber
arch,1 The precise form of the roof cannot, of course, be
determined but it is not improbable that it was of trussed-rafter
construction. There was nothing to suggest that the roof was supported
by pillars, in spite of the remarkable width of the hall. Aisled halls
were, however, still being built in S.E. England in the 14th century as
shown by the example still standing at Tiptofts, near Saffron Walden,,
The fact that the footings of the main central truss were
set askew may be explained as bad setting-out, as also illustrated by
the N. and E. angles of the building being noticeably out of square.
A porch of unusual construction covered the main entrance
on the N.W. side. Its lateral walls did not butt directly on the main
structure but joined a wall parallel to it and just beyond its outer
face. In this, chalk footing was a long slot to receive a sleeper beam,
7 in. square in section, into which the doorposts and the studs of the
wall on either side would-have-been tenoned. The purpose of recessing
the beam 'was-clearly to-avoid obstruction across the threshold.
Possibly this porch was an addition to the hall as originally
Within the entrance, and slightly to one side, was the
chalk footing for a timber screen projecting at right-angles to the wall
and intended to deflect the draught through the open door from the
opposite end of the hall. There was no evidence of this screen ever
having extended across the hall in the usual way as seen at Penshurst
and elsewhere. It approximates to the feature in medieval domestic
buildings known as a speer.
To the E. were remains of substantial though partially
disturbed chalk footings which had supported timber partitions dividing
this end of the building into the two domestic offices customarily
situated at the "lower" end of medieval halls. These rooms,
known as the pantry and buttery, provided store-places for food and
drink respectively. A relatively large number of flagon sherds occurring
on the floor of the room further from the entrance suggests that this
was the buttery.
In the hall of Ightham Mote a stone arch occupies this position
and is set slightly askew like the truss at Joyden's Wood. (Arch.
Cant., XXVII, p. 8 and accompanying plan.
2 M. and C'. H. B. Quennell, A History
of Everyday Things in England 1066-1499,'p. 157.