KENT ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY  -- RESEARCH   Studying and sharing Kent's past      Homepage

Archaeologia Cantiana -  Vol. 72  1958  page 18
Medieval Buildings in the Joyden’s Wood Square Earthwork. 
   By P. J. Tester, F.S.A. and J. E. L. Caiger
These webpages are designed to be viewed with the screen resolution set at 800 x 600 and text size at normal. HOW TO

An investigation lately undertaken by the writers "within the area of this well-known earthwork, situated between Bexley and Wilmington (National Grid Reference TQ 509719), in circumstances previously recorded,1 resulted in the discovery of the footings of a medieval hall flanked by two smaller buildings. The positions of these relative to the earthworks and the two structures revealed by previous excavators are shown on the accompanying plan (Fig. 1).
   Help has been given in this undertaking by a number of friends among whom we are especially grateful to two of our members, Mr. L. Dale for his sustained support and careful digging, and Mr. M. L. M. Clinch for making the photographic record. Mr. S. E. Rigold, M.A., of the Inspectorate of Ancient Monuments has shown a kindly interest in our work, and his colleague, Mr. G. C. Dunning, F.S.A., has furnished a report on the pottery. Digging was permitted by the landowners, Mr. J. Stevens and Mr. A. Seagust.

THE HALL (Fig. 2)
   This was a rectangular building, 62 ft. long and 30 ft. wide externally, with shallow footings, 1 ft. 3 in. thick, composed of poorly mortared chalk and flints which had been robbed in most places down to the lowest course. The superstructure had undoubtedly been of timber and the roof tiled. Numerous fallen roof-tiles occurred on the original floor-level which was generally about 1 ft. 2 in. below the present surface and consisted simply of the natural sandy soil. At each end were indications of attached outbuildings. Sufficient remained of the internal arrangements to enable the building to be identified beyond doubt as a hall, and the period of occupation is established by pottery found on the floor-level and referred by expert authority to c. 1280-1320.
   The probable form of the superstructure can be inferred by reference to standing examples of medieval timber houses. Along the rubble footings would have rested wooden cills upon which the walls were framed. The internal partitions were also raised off the ground in this manner to prevent them rotting by contact with the damp soil.
   1 Arch. Cant., LXXI, p. 233.

                            Back to Page listings       Next page

For details about the advantages of membership of the Kent Archaeological Society   click here

Back the Contents page   Back to Arch. Cant. List   Back to Publications On-line  Back to Research Page  Back to Homepage

Kent Archaeological Society is a registered charity number 223382
© Kent Archaeological Society 10th January 2011

This website is constructed by enthusiastic amateurs. Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to gratefully received so
 that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please send details too research@kentarchaeology.org.uk