KENT ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY  -- RESEARCH   Studying and sharing Kent's past      Homepage

Archaeologia Cantiana -  Vol. 70 - 1956  page 244
Kent Archives Office—Accessions, 1955-56   Continued

   Deeds. 24: Sevenoaks and Seal, 1782-1881.
   Estate papers. Correspondence about the St. Julians estate, with specifications of buildings to be done there and some hop accounts, 1804-1935; correspondence about the building of a house in Canton House Gardens, 1827-32.
   Maps. Two for Seal and Sevenoaks Weald, c. 1800.

   The following is a list of the more important groups of archives catalogued or re-catalogued during the year. In every case the collections were received in the office before August, 1955.
   The Knocker Collection [Cat. Mk. U55].
   Manorial documents. Ightham, 1406-1846; Stansted, 1585-1912; manor and hundred of Wrotham, 1302-1924; Hothfield, Swinford in Hothfield, Westwell and Warehorne, 1531-1930; Charing and the hundred of Calehill, 1629-c. 1820; Otterden and Boardfield in Otterden, 1575-1814; West Shelve and Shelve Cobham in Lenham, 1320-1937; Boughton Aluph, 1690-1949; Coningbrook and Benstone in Kennington and the lesser manors in Wye, 1706-1940; manor and hundred of Milton, c. 1320-1936; Ash, Ridley and Holliwell in Ash, 1625-1940; Frornonds and Crombury in Hadlow, 1296-1828; honor of Otford, c. 1480-1887; Tonbridge, 1689-1807; Billingham in Lewisham, 1668-1785; West Wickham, Keston and Baston, 1467-1938.

   Deeds. Over 6,000: for many parishes, 1262-1934, with large groups for Tonbridge, Charing, Egerton, Hadilow, Ightham, Lenham, East Peckham, Smarden, Westerham and Wrotham.
   Estate and family papers. James of Ightham, 1463-1913; Hothfield estate, c. 1690-1899; Wheeler, 1612-1878; Lambarde, 1715-1819; Petley, 1520-1743; Warde, 1690-1938; Lennard, 1587-1852; Heath of Brasted, 1614-1730.
   Business and official papers. Stewards’ papers, 1593-1919, and tithe commutation papers, 1817-89, probably all from Norwood of Charing; lay subsidy rolls for parts of the lathes of Aylesford and Sutton at Hone, 1589-1641; marsh ordinances for Plumstead and East
Greenwich, post 1547.
   Maps. Properties in Charing and Egerton, Chiddingstone, Sevenoaks and Sundridge, Kemsing and Seal, Smarden, Tonbridge, Hadlow, Ightham and Ridley, 1777-1846, and tracings of maps of Hothfield Estates, c. 1640-1812.
   Faunce-De-Laune MASS. [Cat. Mk. U145], presented by Captain Faunce De Laune.
   Manorial documents. Sharsted, etc., in Doddington, Newnham and Rodmersham, 1655-1938.

Page 244 

Previous Page       Back to Page Listings    Next page           

For details about the advantages of membership of the Kent Archaeological Society   click here

Back to Contents Page    Back to Arch. Cant. List   Back to Publications On-line  Back to Research Page  To Homepage

Kent Archaeological Society is a registered charity number 223382
© Kent Archaeological Society August 2004

This website is constructed by enthusiastic amateurs. Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to gratefully received so
 that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please send details too