THE principal accessions received in the County Archives
Office between 1st August, 1955, and 31st July, 1956, have been:
Sandwich Borough [Cat. Mk. Sa/].
Year Books and draft Year Books, 1431-1837; administrative
and financial records of the Bridge and Haven, 1548-1860; transcripts
and translations of Corporation and Cinque Port charters, 1260-1684;
treasurers’ rolls, c. 1375-1550; land and water treasurers’
accounts, 1625-1835; accounts of the Wardens of the Orphans, 1589-1655;
Borough Fund for public works, 1808-94; records of the court of quarter
sessions, 1635-1918, the court of record, 1456-1836, and the hundred
court, 1529-1681; various versions of Adam Champeneys’ custumal, c.
1375-c. 1625; deeds and leases, 1311-1891; rolls of mayors, 1415-1756;
letter books and bound volumes of miscellaneous papers, 1295-1830;
cartulary and deeds of St. Bartholomew’s Hospital, 1383-1781, and
deeds of St. John’s Hospital, c. 1287-1615; Cinque Port
1574-1916, including copies of many earlier documents; and copies of
minutes of proceedings of the Brotherhood and Guestling and of custumals
of New Romney and Rye and a diary of the bailiff at Yarmouth; transcript
material of William Boys, the historian of Sandwich, and J. A. Jacobs,
and material assembled for the history of Sandwich from 1932 onwards.
Records of the Medway Navigation Company [Cat. Mk.
S/MN], deposited by the Kent River Board.
Minutes, 1765-1912; proceedings of the commissioners of
sewers, 1627-30; financial records including coal and freight accounts,,
Canterbury Diocese—Cranbrook [Cat. Mk. P100],
Churchwardens’ records, 1509-1868, and for Sissinghurst, 1869-1901;
vestry minutes, 1706-1879, overseers’ records, 1627-1846; surveyors’
records, 1781-1836; transcript of registers, 1559-1697.