KENT ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY  -- RESEARCH   Studying and sharing Kent's past      Homepage

Archaeologia Cantiana -  Vol. 70  1956  page 36
The Origin and First Hundred Years of the Society

By Frank W. Jessup, Honorary General Secretary   continued

prepared and edited with deep research, and with the greatest care, accuracy, and completeness (without which Archaeology, of all subjects, ought not even to be touched upon)." His own contributions were generous in number and in length; of the 560 pages of Volume XIII, more than one half are from the pen of the Editor himself. During Scott Robertson’s editorship a fairly large proportion of the papers dealt with ecclesiastical subjects, not surprisingly, seeing how many of the authors were clerics. Apart from a paper by George Payne on the Roman villa at Darenth, there are comparatively few excavation reports, and those, in contrast with current techniques, mainly devoted to a description of the objects found. Excavation had not yet become a science, with its own established methodology: "We began by running parallel trenches across the field, and then using an iron probe; but soon found that the probe was all that was required," is all that Brent has to say about the methods he adopted in excavating, on the Society’s behalf, the important Saxon cemetery at Sarre.
   Record material has always proved awkward to handle. Foss’s complaints about it still have a topical flavour, yet many members, and many students outside Kent, must have had reason to be thankful to Larking for the Feet of Fines, Inquisitions Post Mortem, and Sir Roger Twysden’s Journal in the first six volumes; to Greenstreet, for the Assessments in Kent for the Aid to Knight the Black Prince (Volume X), 

and for the continuation of Feet of Fines (Volumes XI to XV and XVIII); to Scott Robertson for the Expense Book of James Master of Yotes Court (Volumes XV to XVIII); to J. M. Cowper for the ‘Churchwardens’ accounts of St. Dunstan’s, Canterbury (Volumes XVI to XVII); to Leland Duncan for abstracts of Kentish Administrations (Volumes XVIII and XX); to Arthur Hussey for the Visitations of the Archdeacon of Canterbury (Volumes XXV to XXVII), and for the abstracts of Wills which formed a regular feature of most volumes from 1909 up to the time of his death in 1941; to A. A. Arnold for the transcription and translation of a fourteenth-century Rochester court roll (Volume XXIX); to C. Eveleigh Woodruff for Visitation Rolls (Volumes XXXII and XXXIII); to Charles Cotton for the Church-warden’s accounts of St. Andrew’s, Canterbury (Volumes XXXII to XXXVI); and to Sir Edward Harrison for the Ightham Court Rolls in Volumes XLVIII and XLIX. But, however valuable these records may be for reference, few of them make light reading, and it was for this reason that Testamenta Cantiana was issued as an extra volume in 1907, and that the Records Branch, for the publication of Kent Records, was established in 1913.
If record material was sometimes unappreciated by the ordinary reader, the opposite is true of illustrations, which have always been popular. Every volume of
Archaeologia Cantiana has been illustrated,

Page 36

Previous page     Back to Page listings    Next page

Back the Contents page   Back to Arch. Cant. List   Back to Publications On-line  Back to Research Page  Back to Homepage

Kent Archaeological Society is a registered charity number 223382
© Kent Archaeological Society 2003     

This website is constructed by enthusiastic amateurs. Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to gratefully received so
 that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please send details too research@kentarchaeology.org.uk