KENT ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY  -- RESEARCH   Studying and sharing Kent's past      Homepage

Archaeologia Cantiana -  Vol. 70  1956  page 32
The Origin and First Hundred Years of the Society

By Frank W. Jessup, Honorary General Secretary   continued

Branch publications have continued as fast as finances have permitted, and the Branch and the Society have been able to come to a satisfactory arrangement with the County Council whereby our large, and constantly growing, collection of documents has been deposited at County Hall, where they are admirably housed and available for inspection by members. Finally, help has been given towards a number of important excavations, including those in the war-damaged areas at Canterbury and Dover, the Roman Villa at Lullingstone, and Holborough Roman barrow, and the Society itself undertook the excavation of a Jutish cemetery at Lyminge.
   Through the kindness of the landowner, Mr. A. Hall, the objects found during the Lyminge excavations, many of them of archaeological importance and of aesthetic grace, have been added to the Society’s collections. A most notable addition to the collections was Major F. W. Tomlinson’s gift in 1954, with the approval of Lord Mountcharles, of Saxon grave-finds from Bifrons in the last century. In the same year the Society received, from Dr. Gordon Ward, his extensive collection of documents, papers, pamphlets, etc. There have also been important monetary legacies and donations: £100 in 1941 under the wife of Richard Cooke; £100 in 1954 under the will of Aymer Valiance; and, in 1955, £500 under the will of Miss S. M. Taylor. Meanwhile, in 1954,

Mr. I. D. Margary, recognizing the problems facing societies such as ours in a period of inflation, very generously gave £500 towards general publication costs. Substantial donations towards the cost of publishing particular papers have also been received from the Council of British Archaeology, from the Ministry of Works, and from Kent Oil Refinery Ltd.
   To set down the record of the last ten years, even in this brief fashion, is proof enough that the Society has not only recovered from the effects of the war, but also possesses a vigour and a vitality with which it can hopefully, on 19th September, 1957, embark upon its second century.

PUBLICATIONS
  
The original Rules, following those of Sussex, make no mention of publication as being amongst the Society’s objects. Publication was, however, recognized as being a normal, and indeed an important, part of a county society’s function (the paucity of the Surrey publications up to that time was one reason why Bish Webb’s approach was so indignantly rejected in Kent) and almost from the outset Larking was busying himself with the preparation of the first volume. In the sonorous prose befitting a mid-nineteenth century Professor of History at King’s College, London, the purpose of publication was thus set down

Page 32  

Previous page     Back to Page listings    Next page

Back the Contents page   Back to Arch. Cant. List   Back to Publications On-line  Back to Research Page  Back to Homepage

Kent Archaeological Society is a registered charity number 223382
© Kent Archaeological Society 2003     

This website is constructed by enthusiastic amateurs. Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to gratefully received so
 that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please send details too research@kentarchaeology.org.uk