KENT ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY  -- RESEARCH   Studying and sharing Kent's past      Homepage

Archaeologia Cantiana -  Vol. 70  1956  page 27
The Origin and First Hundred Years of the Society

By Frank W. Jessup, Honorary General Secretary   continued

been published in Archaeologia Cantiana, especially in the earlier volumes under the influence of Larking, but their publication was not popular with those members whose interest lay in ecclesiastical architecture or in the antiquities of prehistoric Kent, and the establishment, in 1913, of a separate Records Branch, with a subscription of 10s. a year, was widely welcomed. Miss Irene J. Churchill was appointed Honorary Editor of Kent Records, an office which she still holds, and by November, 1914, three volumes of records had been published, a performance which is eloquent of the Editorís energy and of the moderation of pre-1914 printing costs.
   Indeed, by 1914 there was considerable indication of a revival in the Societyís affairs. Hubert Elgar succeeded Payne as Curator in 1904, and for twenty-seven years devoted himself to the Societyís affairs, earning the respect of the learned for his authoritative knowledge of the archaeology of Kent, and the affection of all for his gentle kindness; Richard Cooke, of Detling, became the Honorary Secretary in 1912; the members were now conveyed, generally more expeditiously although sometimes more precariously, by motor coaches at the annual meetings; and Council firmly resolved, when Major Lambarde and Leland Duncan were appointed as Joint Honorary Editors in 1913, in succession to Canon Livett, that every effort should be made to publish Archaeologia Cantiana annually, or at least biennially. 

Annual publication had always been Councilís ambition, but an unrealised one, and in the second year of the Societyís existence Larking had thought it wise to get Council to say, explicitly, that there was no promise of an annual volume. In fact, by 1913, that is 56 years after the Societyís foundation, only 29 volumes had been published, and on  several occasions three years went by without the members receiving any tangible evidence of the Societyís activities. All this Council was determined to rectify.
   One of the heartening features of history is the countless examples it affords of menís fears proving, in the event, to be unfounded; conversely, the illustrations of hopes doomed to disappointment conduce to more sober reflection. Ineluctably the events of 1914-18 severely limited the Societyís activities, and retraction, not development, became the order of the day.  Major (afterwards Brigadier-General) Lambarde was soon at the Front, and Leland Duncanís work at the War Office kept him so busy that he had no time to spare for Archaeologia Cantiana. Aymer Vallance, then living in London, took on the interim editorship, and managed to bring out volumes in 1915, 1917 and 1918, but costs were increasing sharply, paper was hard to get, and the 1917 Archaeologia Cantiana was the last of the thick, opulent volumes which, until then, had been the rule. Excavation at St. Augustineís, with continued help from the Society, went on for a short time, but field work

Page 27

Previous page     Back to Page listings    Next page

Back the Contents page   Back to Arch. Cant. List   Back to Publications On-line  Back to Research Page  Back to Homepage

  Kent Archaeological Society is a registered charity number 223382
© Kent Archaeological Society 2003     

This website is constructed by enthusiastic amateurs. Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to gratefully received so
 that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please send details too research@kentarchaeology.org.uk