Society be increased? However, it seems that the questions were not even
discussed, still less answered.
Our finances, too, were in a muddle—in a "state of
almost inextricable confusion," as was afterwards admitted. Payne was
less successful than his predecessors in operating the cumbrous system of
dealing with subscriptions and the payment of bills, and quite clearly
this side of the Society’s business held no attractions for him. Late in
1902 it was decided that the accounts should be professionally audited;
hitherto the audit had been carried out by two or three of the members. In
March, 1903, Council set up a Finance Committee, but Payne, with truly
Freudian forgetfulness, omitted to minute its appointment. This omission
was made good at the following meeting of Council, when the Secretary
reiterated the promise, made at an earlier meeting, to co-operate with the
auditors. Nevertheless, he failed to produce the books for their
inspection, possibly because they had been kept so casually as to be
unintelligible to anyone but himself, and at the end of 1903 he had
bluntly to be asked to resign the Secretaryship. This he did in the spring
of 1904. It was, therefore, more polite than ingenuous for Council to
express, in the report presented to the Annual General Meeting in 1904,
its deep regret that he had found it necessary to resign. For a time
relations between Payne and the Society were strained, but his election,
in 1910, as an
Honorary Member was a proper recognition of all that he had done for archaeology
in Kent. The Eastgate House Museum at Rochester is his lasting memorial.
The straightening-out of the finances was almost entirely the
work of the Rev. Waterman Gardner-Waterman, who had already demonstrated his
business capacity in the organization of carriages for the annual excursion
meetings, and for whom, as his obituary notice stated, "figures had no
terrors." He was appointed to the new office of Honorary Financial
Secretary (the Honorary Treasurer at this time having little more than
nominal responsibility), an office which he held until 1924. It was during
his term of office that, in 1916, the clumsy and often criticized method of
collecting subscriptions through Local Secretaries came to an end. For a
time, in 1909, he also acted as Honorary Secretary to the Society, after the
resignation of Sebastian Evans, of Canterbury, who had succeeded Payne in
1904. Meanwhile, the Honorary Editorship had passed through several hands.
Ill-health compelled Scott Robertson, in 1892, to give up the responsibility
for Archaeologia Cantiana, and he was followed by Canon C. F.
Routledge, who in turn was succeeded, in 1900, by the brothers Woodruff—
the Rev. C. Eveleigh, and Cumberland. Cumberland Woodruff died in 1904, and
the Rev. Eveleigh Woodruff resigned in 1906. From 1907 to 1913, the Rev.
(Canon) G. M. Livett acted as Honorary Editor.