KENT ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY  -- RESEARCH   Studying and sharing Kent's past      Homepage

Archaeologia Cantiana -  Vol. 70  1956  page 21
The Origin and First Hundred Years of the Society

By Frank W. Jessup, Honorary General Secretary   continued

lines which had, by now, been clearly laid down during the first decade, with the two-day Annual General Meetings as the most spectacular of its activities. At the 1863 meeting held at Penshurst, the 800 members who were present (including the Archbishop of Canterbury and the Lord Lieutenant) were entertained at a magnificent banquet by Lord De L’Isle and Dudley; in 1871, 600 members attended the meeting held at Knole; and when the Society went to Leeds Castle in 1882, the 400-odd members had to be marshalled into groups, with military precision, and the excursions through the Castle timed meticulously to ensure that the party was able to accomplish during the day the formidable tour which had been set for it. The organization of these meetings, when trains were customarily anything up to an hour and a half late, and when horse-carriages had to be hired by the dozen to transport such numbers, was a task likely to daunt any but the sternest Excursions Secretary: perhaps there is some significance in the fact that at this time the title used was "Honorary Director of Locomotion."
   In 1871 Godfrey-Faussett was joined as Joint Honorary Secretary by the Rev. W. A. Scott Robertson. Two years later, on Godfrey-Faussett’s resignation, Scott Robertson became responsible for all the secretarial and editorial work, and so remained for sixteen years. At that time he was Rector of Elmley, in the Isle of Sheppey, although he lived at Whitehall, Sittingbourne. 

Except on Sundays, it seems improbable that his remote and few parishioners saw much of him. He was greatly interested in Foreign Missions, and he took part in many matters that concerned the welfare of the town and neighbourhood of Sittingbourne, but both at that time and later, when he was successively Vicar of Throwley and Rector of Otterden, it was to the Society’s affairs that, after his parochial duties, he devoted most of his energies. "His learning, zeal, tact, indomitable energy, and remarkable power of organization well fitted him for the onerous task he had undertaken," runs the obituary notice in Volume XXIII of Archaeologia Cantiana, "and all these qualities he ungrudgingly devoted to the advancement of the science of Archaeology and the welfare of the Society." He contributed something like one hundred papers to Archaeologia Cantiana; on excursions he was an indefatigable guide and a ready expositor; on his instigation the Society undertook several new projects; and he attended, in a business-like way, to all the communications that fall to the lot of the Secretary.
   The number of these communications, reported Robertson Scott, exceeded 1,500 a year, and the number of letters that he wrote annually was 1,000. This information was produced at a meeting of Council in 1883, when an application from the Curator for an increase of salary was being considered. The Curator based his application on the

Page 21  

Previous page   Back to Page listings    Next page

Back the Contents page   Back to Arch. Cant. List   Back to Publications On-line  Back to Research Page  Back to Homepage

 Kent Archaeological Society is a registered charity number 223382
© Kent Archaeological Society 2003     

This website is constructed by enthusiastic amateurs. Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to gratefully received so
 that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please send details too research@kentarchaeology.org.uk