KENT ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY  -- RESEARCH   Studying and sharing Kent's past      Homepage

Archaeologia Cantiana -  Vol. 62  1949  pages 21

A First Century Urn-Field at Cheriton, near Folkestone. By P. J. Tester and H. F. Bing, M.A., F.R.Hist.S

ON the 23rd April, 1948, workmen engaged in digging a trench on the site of a proposed extension to the Folkestone Borough Council Housing Estate, unearthed a large quantity of pottery. The discovery was reported to Mr. B. H. B. Reynolds, M.A., M. Inst. C.E., Secretary and Engineer of the Folkestone Waterworks Company. Thanks to the initiative of this gentleman, most of the disturbed finds were collected from the spoil of the workmen’s trench and information of the discovery communicated to the writers. Permission was immediately obtained from the Borough Surveyor to conduct an emergency excavation of the area adjoining the trench. This work proceeded at intervals during the following weeks and resulted in the disclosure of a number of cremation burial groups of a Belgic and early Romano-British character, comprising a small cemetery or urn-field of which the first discoveries had clearly formed a part.
   Subsequent examination of the sherds recovered from the trench revealed that approximately twenty-five vessels were disturbed in this area. During the ensuing excavation, nine undisturbed burial groups were discovered in situ, the bases of the funerary vessels resting at an average depth of two feet from the surface.1 Much of the pottery was in 

a broken condition and has needed considerable reconstruction. Five bronze brooches were also recovered, but no coins or glassware were forthcoming from the site.
   The position of the site may be determined from 0.S. 6" Kent Sheet LXXV, N.W., or from O.S. 1" Sheet 173, National Grid Reference 193369. The burials were irregularly spaced in an area situated in the rounded angle formed at the junction of two newly constructed roadways. Distances from the nearest thoroughfares, Horn Street and the main Ashford to Folkestone road, are indicated on the accompanying plan. Part of the site will eventually be covered by a paved footway. Until recently the land was a cultivated field and repeated ploughing may account for the damaged condition of some of the vessels. The site lies towards the foot of the dip-slope of the Lower Greensand, close to the 200 ft. contour and about half a mile south of the Gault
   1 NOTE ON PLATES I-III. The surface level shown in photographs of Groups III, IV, VI and VII does not indicate the original depth of the vessels from the surface of the ground over the site. In these instances the level had been lowered about a foot preparatory to laying the paved footway.

Pages 21

                      Back to Page Listings        Next Page

For details about the advantages of membership of the Kent Archaeological Society   click here

Back the Contents page   Back to Arch. Cant. List   Back to Publications On-line  Back to Research Page  Back to Homepage

Kent Archaeological Society is a registered charity number 223382
© Kent Archaeological Society July 2003

This website is constructed by enthusiastic amateurs. Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to gratefully received so
 that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please send details too research@kentarchaeology.org.uk