ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY -- RESEARCH
Studying and sharing Kent's past
Cantiana Vol. 58 - 1945 page 74
REPORTS: Canterbury Excavation Committee Continued
dated with fair precision. The latest site of all, in
Butchery Lane, has proved most profitable already and encouraging for
the future. The building was probably a private house of some size, and
with a complicated structural history.
So far there is no evidence of continued occupation of the site after
the 4th century A.D. The coins range from a barbarous copy of an issue
of Claudius I to one of Valens
a possible example of Arcadius.
Major F. W. Tomlinson, F.S.A., has proved a most energetic
and efficient Hon. Secretary, and he has been most successful in
recruiting volunteers for work which has often been arduous and in
W. P. D. S.,
Member of the Committee
REPORTS: Dover Excavation Committee
Before the formation of the Committee Warrant Officer M. M.
Rix, the late Mr. Eric Taylor and volunteers were engaged upon the
clearance of debris in and around some medieval walling, revealed by
demolition after damage in Snargate Street. The walling appears to be a
garderobe pit and the base of two shoots which discharged into it. The
pit is divided into two portions, both vaulted in stone, by a wall
within which is a double opening with round-headed arches. The masonry
suggests a date in the 12th century for this garderobe, but it is quite
uncertain what was the building which it served. It does not stand on
the line of the Town Wall, as that is usually drawn.
In the filling of the pit there was some medieval pottery.
Amongst redeposited debris lying across its ruins there was much pottery
of many ages from the Roman onwards, including a most interesting and
rare sherd of late 11th century ware. This is an import from northern
France and the ware has only once been found before in this
at Pevensey Castle. The surface colour is buff, with vertical stripes of
reddish brown paint, and the spout is tubular. Derived from Pingsdorf
ware of the 9th century onwards, this pottery in a modified form was
made at such places as Goincourt near Beauvais. The sherd is fully
described in Ant. Journ. XXV, 153-4.
After the formation of the Committee work was undertaken in
August, 1945, with the aid of volunteers under the supervision of Mrs.
Leslie Murray Threipland on two devastated sites, where it was hoped to
find evidence of Roman and perhaps also later occupation.
These were in Church Street and off Queen Street behind Fox's Bakery.
Sections of a thick wall have been found from time to time in the past
which, linked together, suggest the enceinte of a Roman fort. The trench
in Queen Street yielded little direct evidence of a wall, but
significantly there was in a thin layer of mortared stones a well
Page 74 (This page was
prepared for the website by Aaron Meyer)
Previous Page Back to Page Listings
For details about the advantages of membership of the Kent
Archaeological Society click
Page Back to Arch. Cant. List
to Publications On-line Back
to Research Page Back to Homepage
Kent Archaeological Society is a registered
charity number 223382
© Kent Archaeological Society 16th February 2005
This website is constructed by
enthusiastic amateurs. Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to
gratefully received so
that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please
send details too firstname.lastname@example.org