KENT ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY  -- RESEARCH   Studying and sharing Kent's past      Homepage

Archaeologia Cantiana Vol. 55 - 1942 page 72
MISCELLANEOUS NOTES: 
GREEN COURT, CANTERBURY CATHEDRAL PRECINCTS AND THE NORMAN CASTLE

THE digging of an air raid shelter in the Green Court has brought to light many fragments of pottery and tiles of both Roman and medieval origin. No foundations were met with and the site seems to have been much disturbed and used as a dump for waste materials of all kinds. A number of small pieces of Roman Samian have been picked up, the majority displaying first century characteristics; one piece of decorated ware, in particular, has a bifid tendril binding, which is notably pre-Flavian. Several unusual flints were also noticed, but it has been ascertained that their present position is due to a re-arrangement of the King's School Museum and that they are of North American origin.
   At the Eastern end of the Court and approximately in its

centre, a medieval well has been revealed, 120 feet from the Deanery. It is of dressed stonework and five feet in diameter. The top had been domed over with brickwork and the well is filled with earth to within six feet of the present ground level.

THE NORMAN CASTLE
   In digging round the foundations of the Edwardian gatehouse, an account of which appeared in Arch. Cant., LIII, 143, fragments of Roman pottery and of bone were noticed and also a layer of very dark earth containing charcoal, about two feet below the present ground level.
                                      GRAHAM WEBSTER

 

THE EARLY 18TH CENTURY DISPUTE OVER THE PILOTS'
GALLERY IN ST. LEONARD'S, DEAL.

IN Vol. XLIX (1937) of A.C. appeared a paper on St. Leonards which included two documents dated June 26th and November 5th, 1709. These gave two stages in the dispute over the rights of the Pilots to the exclusive use of this gallery. The following document gives an earlier stage in the trouble, clearly one of long standing.

(In another hand)   {Article of Agreemt made between the
 This was refus'd    {Rector [and] Churchwardens of
  by ye Rector &   {Deale in behalf of the Parish And the
 Church Wardens  {Wardens of the ffellow-ship of pilots
                               in behalf of their Brethren.

   Memorandum. On the second day of ffebruary Anno Dom: 1709: And in 8th year of the Reign of or Sovn Lady Anne by the Grace of God Queen of Great Britain &c. It was agreed Between Henry Gerard Rector of the Parish Church and Parish of Deale in the County of Kent And John Dooris [Davie] & Nathaniel Child Churchwardens of the said

Page  72   (This page was prepared for the website by Aaron Meyer)      

Previous page       Back to Page Listings       Next page   

For details about the advantages of membership of the Kent Archaeological Society   click here

Contents Page    Back to Arch. Cant. List   Back to Publications On-line    Back to Research Page   Back to Homepage

Kent Archaeological Society is a registered charity number 223382
Kent Archaeological Society 20th February 2005

This website is constructed by enthusiastic amateurs.  Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to gratefully received so
 that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please send details too research@kentarchaeology.org.uk