KENT ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY  -- RESEARCH   Studying and sharing Kent's past      Homepage

     Archaeologia Cantiana -  Vol. 53  1940  page 142

Miscellaneous Notes

which probably formed the outer casing of the kiln, the kiln itself being built in a pit or hollow for ease in firing and control of draught. The tile arches seem to have been the main arches of the kiln, and the stoke-hole probably still exists in the unexcavated ground close by. The oven floor had not been exposed.
The normal product of the kiln, of which there were many examples in the material removed, was a thin flat two-holed tile measuring approximately 10" x 6". Such tiles were commonly applied in facing, and particularly in weather-tiling, a method of protection which has been widely used in south-eastern England since Tudor times. It may well be that this kiln supplied material for the building of the neighbouring farmhouse.
A recent visit to the kiln in the grounds of Town House, Ightham, showed that similar tiles were made there, and the so-called Roman hypocaust discovered at Hartley in 1926 (Arch. Cant., XXXIX, xlix) seems after all to have been a tile kiln of much the same kind.
                                                                     R.F.J.

RISELEY SAXON CEMETERY.


AT a special exhibition of Anglo-Saxon antiquities from Kent, held at the British Museum in 1938, the gold ornaments from Riseley, Horton Kirby, and others from the Jutish cemetery at Howletts, near Canterbury, were shown, giving an opportunity to compare Eastern and Western Kentish styles. The ornaments, which are described as "gold pendants, amethyst beads, and a jewelled silver pendant encasing a piece of foreign polychrome glass" from Horton Kirby and "two particularly fine silver-gilt ‘radiated’ brooches and a disc brooch bearing embossed animal-ornament of an unusual kind " from Howletts are illustrated by photographs in the British Museum Quarterly, Vol. xii No. 2 (1938). The Saxon ornaments were exhibited at British Museum for six weeks and for four weeks for at the London University quinquennial exhibition of archaeological discoveries, Regent’s Park.

A. Cumberland

Page 142   

   Plate 1    

Back to the Contents page   Back to Arch. Cant. List   Back to Publications On-line  Back to Research Page  Back to Homepage

Kent Archaeological Society is a registered charity number 223382
© Kent Archaeological Society 2003    

This website is constructed by enthusiastic amateurs. Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to gratefully received so
 that we can amend our pages to give an accurate record as possible. Please send details too research@kentarchaeology.org.uk