ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY -- RESEARCH
Studying and sharing Kent's past
Archaeologia Cantiana -
Vol. 47 1935 page 203
the site of the Leper Hospital, New Romney.
By Miss K. M. E. Murray
No. 5. Border fragment. Quatrefoils in circles and dots.
The pattern incised
on black enamel.
No. 6. Border fragment. Small circles in red.
No. 7. Fragment with delicate foliage pattern in red, the
lighter red, background white.
No. 8. Similar smaller fragment.
No. 9. Delicate foliage design in black on very thick glass.
Nos. 10-15. Fragments showing foliage and formal
patterns in red.
Nos. 16-20. No. 18 certainly, and the others possibly,
fragments of an architectural design in black.
No. 21. Two pieces (joining) of a pattern showing a
roundel with a cinquefoil in the centre, in red.
Nos. 22, 23. Pieces of an inscription in red. No. 22
appears to be a P.
No. 24. Piece of thick glass with foliage and chequer
pattern in red. Probably part of a descriptive
scene rather than a purely decorative design.
24 (actual size).
Very little pottery was found, and all was of the late fourteenth or
fifteenth century and un-stratified. Glazed fragments include a piece of a
jug with olive green glaze and rosettes in relief, two fragments of green
glazed jug rims, and two of flat jug bases glazed with yellow-brown glaze
inside. Unglazed fragments included three rims in coarse gritty ware,
sharply moulded and out-turned, a flat base, a round jug handle in gritty
Page listings Next page
Back the Contents page
To Arch. Cant. List
To Publications On-line
To Research Page To Homepage
Kent Archaeological Society is a registered
charity number 223382
© Kent Archaeological Society 2003
This website is constructed by
enthusiastic amateurs. Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to
so that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please
send details too email@example.com