ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY -- RESEARCH
Studying and sharing Kent's past
Archaeologia Cantiana -
Vol. 47 1935 page 201
the site of the Leper Hospital, New Romney.
By Miss K. M. E. Murray
window glass, suggests that the remains discovered are a part of the
Hospital church or chapel rebuilt about 1363. It is unfortunate that so far
too little of the foundations have been found to enable the plan to be
Only one other piece of wall foundation was found, a very short
stretch of wall just over a foot thick, built on the same alignment as the
supposed "church" but further to the north, and apparently forming
the south-east angle or buttress of a building, the limits of which were not
fully explored. Between the two buildings was a considerable area of
flooring composed of cement on a layer of slates.
All these remains must belong to the last period of the
Hospital’s existence, subsequent to the 1363 rebuilding. In two places to
the north of the "church", pits were dug to a depth of 5 feet, and
while no pottery was found below the fourteenth-fifteenth century floor
level, the ‘heavy loam and, clay underlying it showed traces of charcoal
and. decomposed tile, so that it is possible that the twelfth and thirteenth
century remains lie at a depth to which there was
no time to penetrate this year. .. It is very much to be hoped that it will
be possible to carry the exploration of the site further. The excavations
this year have touched only a corner of the field.
I. Glass. (Plate II)
The most interesting discovery was that of a large quantity of
plain and patterned window glass, in a fragmentary condition. It is
pronounced by the authorities at South Kensington Museum to be English glass
of the second half of the fourteenth century. The most important pieces
No. 1. Two pieces (joining) of a diamond shaped pane
(sides about 2.2"). Traces of pattern in red.
No. 2. Specimen of several pieces of plain glass with
thickened rim to fit frame. ,
No. 3. Border fragment. Pattern of roundels in red.
No. 4. Border fragment. Quatrefoils in circles. Pattern
left plain on a background coloured black.
Page listings Next page
Back the Contents page
To Arch. Cant. List
To Publications On-line
To Research Page To Homepage
Kent Archaeological Society is a registered
charity number 223382
© Kent Archaeological Society 2003
This website is constructed by
enthusiastic amateurs. Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to
so that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please
send details too firstname.lastname@example.org