KENT ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY  -- RESEARCH   Studying and sharing Kent's past      Homepage

     Archaeologia Cantiana -  Vol. 35  1921  page 5
A ROMAN CEMETERY DISCOVERED AT OSPRINGE IN 1920. By W. Whiting  Continued

A.    Urn, 9¼ in. diameter; soft brownish-red clay, with a good black coating, smoothed round the base, and in bands round the shoulder, with wavy lines scored on the latter.
B.     Base of grey ware vessel.
C.     Fragment of rim of large vessel; fine grey ware.
D.     Fragment of coarse grey ware (? rim of a large wide-mouthed pan with nearly upright side).
E.     Flask or bottle, 5⅛ in. diameter; grey clay with red slip coating. Too incomplete for comparison, but resembles Silchester Pottery, p. 149, p1. lxiv., type 123. The smallness of the neck indicates its purpose as a gutturnium, or lamp filler. The angular joining of neck and body suggests an early second, or late first, century date.
 F.    (Not illustrated.) Fragments of soft sandy clay vessel; no parts of rim or base recovered; apparently portions of an urn about 10 in. or 11 in. diameter.

   Among these were also found some pieces of rusty iron, unfortunately so corroded that it is impossible to say with certainty what they were. One piece shewed traces of wood, to which it appeared to have been nailed, so they may be remains of the handles and bands of a wooden cist.
   In August an extension of the original excavation northwards, about 8 ft. by 8 ft., was made, and the vessels numbered 7 to 11 were brought to light. The groups of pottery were now kept distinct and more satisfactorily recorded; at this time also arrangements were made that no further finds should be disturbed until their recovery could be watched.

GROUP I.
No. 7. URN, containing calcined bones, 11 in. diameter, 12¼in. high; sandy grey clay with bands coated black round shoulder and lip.

Page 5 

Previous page       Back to Page listings       Next page

For details about the advantages of membership of the Kent Archaeological Society   click here

Back the Contents page   Back to Arch. Cant. List   Back to Publications On-line  Back to Research Page  Back to Homepage

Kent Archaeological Society is a registered charity number 223382
© Kent Archaeological Society 2003     

This website is constructed by enthusiastic amateurs. Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to gratefully received so
 that we can amend our pages to give an accurate record as possible. Please send details too research@kentarchaeology.org.uk