KENT ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY  -- RESEARCH   Studying and sharing Kent's past      Homepage

    Archaeologia Cantiana -  Vol. 32  1917  page 85
                               
                       RECULVER AND HOATH WILLS. By Arthur Hussey  Continued

Seats.
   Robert Hunt in 1495 gave towards the pewing of the church of Hooth 20s.

CHAPLAINS OF HOLY CROSS CHANTRY, HOATH.*

   The chantry was founded by Thomas Niewe, a former Vicar of Reculver, who in 1355 endowed two chantries in Reculver Church. The Archbishop was the patron and appointed the chaplains, who had a residence, which in 1511 the chantry-priest said was in need of repair.
   28 June 1371. Confirmatio ordinationis trium Cantariarum; duarum videlicet in eccliesia de Recolvere, et tercie in Capella de Hothe eidem annexa, per d’nm Tho. Niewe, rect. de Godmersham, dudum ecclie de Recolvere, vicar, fundat. (Register of Archbishop Whittlesey, fol. 45.)

   1393— . . . Robert Wymark.
        (Coll. 18 Jan. 1392-3. Reg. Courtenay 11, fol. 210.)
   1414— . . . William Leek.
                    (Coll. 17 Oct. 1414. Reg. Chichele, fol. 61.)
   . . . John Wasseyl.
               (Mentioned in 1422. B. M. Harl. Ch. 78, D 21.)
   1422— . . . John Cokkow.
                    (Coll. 8 June 1422. Reg. Chichele, fol. 133.)
   . . . —1423 John Northill.
   1423—26 Thomas Kymbenlee.
                     (Ex. with the former 27 Aug. 1423. Reg.
                                                        Chichele, fol. 142.)
   1426—30 Thomas Pende.
                                 (Col. 20 Oct. 1426, on resignation
                                       of the last chaplain—fol. 164.)
   * This list of chaplains and the other information from the Registers of the Archbishops at Lambeth Palace Library has been kindly supplied by the Rev. T. S. Frampton.

Page 85  (This page prepared for the Website by Ted Connell)                  

Previous page       Back to Page listings       Next page      

For details about the advantages of membership of the Kent Archaeological Society   click here

Back the Contents page   Back to Arch. Cant. List   Back to Publications On-line  Back to Research Page  Back to Homepage

Kent Archaeological Society is a registered charity number 223382
© Kent Archaeological Society 30th May 2005

This website is constructed by enthusiastic amateurs. Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to gratefully received so
 that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please send details too research@kentarchaeology.org.uk