In the library of the Society of Antiquaries amongst the Thorpe MSS. is a
thin folio volume, numbered clxxx., containing extracts from the Parish
Registers of twenty-three parishes in West Kent. A list of these is given
on pages 40-1 of The Parish Registers and Records in the Diocese of
Rochester, published by the Kent Archaeological Society in 1912. Of
the parish registers named no less than six have unfortunately been lost
since the extracts were made, and it has been thought desirable to place
the entries preserved to us in this MS. on permanent record in these
The extracts are all in one handwriting, and appear to have
been made in 1726-7. The entries it will be noted
nearly all relate to the clergy and gentry, and apparently one of the particular objects of the transcriber was to collect
the names of the parochial clergy.
The extracts have not been rearranged, but are printed
exactly as in the transcripts, since they appear to preserve for us the
make-up of the original registers.
SELE, Ao. 1561. (Seal)
Transcript. Registr. incipit Nov. 18. Ao 1mo
Gylberti Jenyns Vicarii ib: et Ao Eliz. Begin. 4to
1561 Nov. 24 John s. of
John Tebold, gent., Bapt.
1563 May 20 Silvester d. of John Tebold, gent.,
1564 Oct. 30 Alyce d. of John Tebald, gent., Bapt.