The family named Nottingham lived at
Grovefield and owned other land. No. 56.)
Studd Farm, between Herne and Swaylecliff, was the home of
John Studde (No. 35) who died in 1478. His wife was Alice, the sister of
William Philipp (No. 6), and they had a daughter Margaret Studde.
Sea or See Street gave its name to the family of Sea or atte
See. Also John Percyvale in 1466 had a messuage at Sea Street and one at
Eddington. Thomas Aleyn in 1481 had a messuage with seven acres of land at
Sea Street, which he left to his wife Joan. (No. 46.)
The frequent mention of fish weirs points to the
occupation of some of the people. The weirs were constructed so that they
were covered by water at high tide and retained the fish as the tide
receded. A weir may be seen at tine present day on the sea-shore, between
Graveney and Seasalter.
In the Survey of Ford Manor in 1647* there is a list of
twenty-one weirs on the sea-coast. Many of the wills of the parishioners
of Seasalter’ and Whitstable mention weirs and fisheries.
John atte See in 1460 had two weirs that formerly belonged to
William Studd. (No. 8.)
James Shipman orders his boat and two weirs to be sold.
John Cobb had a weir. (No. 20.)
Richard Greneham of Hampton in 1474 left his land weir and
half, the profits of his boats to his wife Alice, and at her death to
their son James. To his son John he bequeathed his deep weir and the other
half of his boats. (No. 27.)
William Aleyn in 1480 left to Simon Brown a weir in the sea
at St. Mary’s Gelf. (No. 41.)
Robert Cobb left a weir at Beaconhill to his brother Thomas
Cobb. (No. 42.)
* See Archaeologia Cantiana, Vol. XXVI., p. 128