KENT ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY  -- RESEARCH   Studying and sharing Kent's past      Homepage

Archaeologia Cantiana -  Vol. 17  1878  page 39
SCOTNEY CASTLE By Edward Hussey

The origin of the name of Scotney seems to be veiled in some obscurity. Isaac Taylor, in his excellent book Words and Places (p. 370), includes it in the names which are derived from the Saxon word " ea" or " ey "=island ; and Philipott, in his History of Kent (p. 209), mentions "Scotney, which hath borrowed that appellation from its local situation and the overshooting of the water." But Count Gabriel Ogilvy, author of Les Conquerants d'Angleterre, in some MS. notes relating to the pedigree of the Barons de Scoteni, who possessed this Castle in the twelfth century, traces the family of Scoteni or Escotigny to "Ecotigny, anciennement Escotigny-Humeau, Commune de Grandcourt, près Foucarmont, Seine infre." This baronial family about A.D. 1200 possessed a demesne called Scotney Court, in the parish of Lydde (now the property of All Souls' College), and also lands at Cokerington in Lincolnshire.
   By Charters relating to the Priory of Hastings, it appears that "Walter Fitz Lambert, who, at the time of the Domesday Survey, held Crowhurst of the Count of Eu, was ancestor of Walter and Peter de Scotenie, and that the arms of the latter on his seal were, On a bend, within a bordure indented, three billets. Lamberb de Scotenie held this Castle during 1168-1195; but in 1259 his successor, "Walter de Scoteni, was tried and hanged, at Winchester, for administering poison to Richard, Earl of Gloucester, and William de Clare, his brother, the latter of whom died. Scotney Castle seems, however, to have continued in this family until about the middle of the reign of Edward III., when it passed to the Ashburnhams of Ashburnham in Sussex. Roger Ashburnham, a Conservator of the Peace, resided here in 1 Richard II., and castellated the mansion; but his successor, in the beginning of the reign of Henry V., alienated it to Henry Chicheley, Archbishop of Canterbury, who occasionally lived here, and who dated hence one of his mandates in 1418. In that year, however, the Archbishop settled this property on his niece Florence (daughter of his youngest brother William, and widow of Sir William Peche, of Lullingstone), on her marriage with John Darell, Esq., of Gale Hill in Little Chart, Kent, second son of William Darell, Esq., of Sesay, co. York. It continued for many years in this family; and Thomas Darell had his lands disgavelled in 2 and 3 Edward VI.
   In a book, edited by John Morris, Priest of the Society of Jesus, in 1872, entitled The troubles of our Catholic Forefathers related by themselves, there is an interesting account, gathered from contemporary papers in the Archives de l'Etat, at Brussels and at

Previous Page       Back to Page listings       Next page      

For details about the advantages of membership of the Kent Archaeological Society   click here

Back the Contents page   Back to Arch. Cant. List   Back to Publications On-line  Back to Research Page  Back to Homepage

Kent Archaeological Society is a registered charity number 223382
© Kent Archaeological Society January 2012

This website is constructed by enthusiastic amateurs. Any errors noticed by other researchers will be to gratefully received so
 that we can amend our pages to give as accurate a record as possible. Please send details too research@kentarchaeology.org.uk